hf1

Home educating families introduce yourself here!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Home educating families introduce yourself here!

Postby clothmama » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:18 am

I thought it would be nice to have a thread to introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your home education journey, whether you have been doing it for many years, have just started or are planning it for the future :D

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Home Educating families introduce yourself here!

Postby nappynutter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:00 am

Can you change the title to home educating, please? Home schooling is a US term which refers to a "classroom at home" style education. They use the term unschooling to refer to autonomous home education. In the UK we use home education which refers to all kinds of home education including formal/structured and autonomous.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Home Schooling families introduce yourself here!

Postby nappynutter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:14 am

:wave:

We've been home educating full-time for the last 4 years. Before that DD3 was home educated for a year. DD1 is going to uni in September to study Chemistry, DD2 wants to go to RSAMD in Glasgow to do an MA in Modern Ballet, DD3 would like to do drama there too. The younger ones are primary age.

We are autonomous educators, so there are no formal lessons. Each of the children follow their own interests and we offer them encouragement and support.

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Home educating families introduce yourself here!

Postby aimeet » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:20 am

Hi, I want to he Penny when she gets bigger, although worried that with my teacher training it will be more about breaking my bad habits :giggle: I have always been interested in he and have attended forums about alternative education models. The fact that my local primary school is very target driven has cinched it for me. :( sad as I would love to support the village school.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:20 am

We are going to be sending izzy to pre school in sept 2 mornings as she seems to thrive is group situation massively, then planning on her doing 5 mornings at nursery school age 3 then school year after. At each stage i will be checking this is what is best for her and in my heart i really want it to work out BUT It is so nice to know that if school wasnt what was best i would feel good about home ed as it is becoming more accepted now :mrgreen:

I think Morag you are an inspiration and will enjoy reading your posts in this section :D

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Hi

As most of you know, I have amber who is nearly 29 months and Lucas who is nearly 7 months and we are seriously considering home educating both of them :D

Amber is so keen to learn and she is already advanced with phonics/number/speech and a ton of other things and we hope HE will help her flourish :wine:

School bored DP as he is so clever and he became a nuisance :oops: so he is adamant that we won't let it happen to our kids.

Hope to get lots of useful information and support here in this section :mrgreen:
Sarah xx

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:05 pm

We HE our boys, 10, 8 and 6 and have been for 2yrs now. We focus on a little Maths and English regularly and then pretty much let them get on with whatever interests them at the time, helping along the way of course.

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:04 pm

We are about 99% certain we are going to HE Kacie, 27 months and Mira, 6 months. I want them to be able to learn what interests them and just basically don't want them in the school system as neither DH nor I feel it benefited us in much of a way.

Kacie is very sociable, as probably is Mira, judging from the way she is nosy at everything Kacie is doing when we go anywhere :lol: so I am already putting feelers out into the HEer's in the local area as I think it would be good for Kacie to start meeting some new friends that way. Apparently Bradford and West Yorkshire have a strong HEing community so I think we'll get along well.

My sister HE'd her 3 boys and while I originally thought she was totally strange :lookround: :giggle: watching them grow up and seeing how they've progressed I think she made a great choice. The eldest is off to study Theology at college this year after completing an apprenticeship in carpentry once he'd aced a handful of GCSE's. The middle one has just graduated from the University of Central Lancashire with a BSc with honnors in IT Solutions and the youngest is hoping to get into Huddersfield uni after he finishes college next year. I'm a rubbish aunty though and can't remember for the life of me what he's doing :oops: They and my sis are my insperation :mrgreen:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Well having decided that at this age and in this locality, school does not suit Isabelle's personality and I'm so fedup of the lack of information (and control!) over what my child learns...

So from the end of term we will be giving Isabelle (5) an alternative education, in and out of the home ;) And of course Grace (2) will be continuing as she already does to pick up SO much from us and her sister and learning as she goes along in the best way which to me is just parenting properly really and I've felt that school have simply got in the way so far!

Next

Return to Home Education