hf1

Baby clothes for cloth bums?

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Baby clothes for cloth bums?

Postby Dancing mum » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:03 pm

My baby is 14 weeks (been in cloth since 7 weeks and love it :yahoo: ) but I'm starting to really struggle with clothes. She is very long anyway and now she has this gorgeous big cloth bum I'm finding so many clothes don't fit at all. She's already outgrowing lots of her 3-6 month things and it just seems crazy to start putting her in 6-9 months already :shock:
I bought some vest extenders which has partially solved the problem but onesies and trousers / shorts are still an issue.
Be really useful to know how other people have got round this (if you've had a problem)?
Are there particular makes / styles you found worked well?

My avatar
shinycat
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Baby clothes for cloth bums?

Postby shinycat » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:07 pm

Skirts/dresses, joggers and dungarees work best. Avoid any kind of tailored trousers (Next are quite bad for this) and fabrics with no stretch. Leggings are OK but can look a little bit silly with bulkier nappies e.g sandys. I stopped using sleepsuits at about 18 months I think and started putting DD in nighties, prior to that I always used a bigger size and put up with the extra-long legs! I also used vest extenders but with DS (who is very long in the body) just stopped bothering to do up the poppers, and simply tucked the vest in instead.

Some nappies do come up slimmer than others, but I found almost always you trade slimness for absorbency so have to change more frequently. Prefold style is a good one to go for as there is no bulk at the sides - I loved BG Flips and Popins (to a lesser extent). As your child gets bigger this becomes less and less of an issue as they kind of "grow into" the big bum, but you do still need to be careful of slim-fit trousers with not much stretch in them.
Last edited by shinycat on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:17 pm

Frugi/cut4cloth are really good at fitting with nappies with onesies and trousers etc. Fitted trousers are a pain I've found too with some makes. Vest extenders are good to use but you need a selection as different makes have different size/spacing of attachment poppers. from memory M+s clothes might have been better-H&M not.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:28 pm

Go with it. My 10wk old is well into 6-9m clothes! Otherwise dungers or h&m clothes

My avatar
BekkiLB
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby BekkiLB » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:47 pm

I have a boy so can't get away with sticking him in a skirt however h&m and tesco have been good fits (I have a big boy so tend to be the size up anyway) not its warming up (sort of) it's just a tshirt an leg warmers. For pjs I just use proper jammys weather than onsies. I'd avoid next and primark, I couldn't even get them on in his sposie days!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:18 pm

What they said ^

Dresses, skirts, stretchy trousers, I sized up with a vest. Dungarees (I love dungarees! )

Frugi do clothes to fit over cloth. They are on the expensive side so I look out for things in the sale or secondhand. I have some little girls frugi cords for sale in my classifieds but they re 6-12 months ( you don t have to size up for Frugi) so could maybe be for winter ;)
I will have some frugi jeans but DS is still wearing them ( not to bed or anything lol!)

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:21 pm

Oooo just thought, rompers are good for the summer too :thumbsup:

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks that's all really helpful. It sounds crazy but I didn't even think of dresses and skirts! :doh:
I'll have a look at the second hand section on the tree for frugi and cut4cloth clothes and will try out tesco, h&m and M&S as they sound like popular choices :thumbsup:
Dungerees in winter sound great and a few summery rompers will be fun too!

My avatar
shinycat
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby shinycat » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:49 pm

Dungarees are too cute in little ones. I struggled to find them for girls when DD was little, and ended up buying her some brown ones from the boys dept in Next and she wore those with pink tops underneath to try and avoid people thinking she was a boy (which we've always had due to her very short hair :roll: ). I put DS in dungarees a lot. Once they start potty training they become very inconvenient though!

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler