hf1

Holiday panic with in laws

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Holiday panic with in laws

Postby Dancing mum » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:46 pm

Funnily enough the 2 things I thought were going to be most critical of (nappies and breast feeding) weren't too much of an issue. There was at least 1 daily comment about how disproportionately big her bum is in the nappies and I saw a few eye rolls when she had days where she fed really regularly, but tbh I just brushed it off.
It just felt like everything we did or said was wrong and it became really exhausting. DH was even told to stop talking at one point during a conversation cos sil didn't want to hear his opinion!
Also silly things like they seemed annoyed we didn't take buggy and only sling so every day as we'd go out they'd offer theirs (just in case). Every time I'd say 'take it if you think you'll need it but don't lug it round on our account cos she's happy in sling'. So out of stubbornness they'd rarely take it unless we'd be staying out late and then their poor 20 month old would be tripping and falling cos so tired and inevitably would need carrying which then seemed to annoy them more!
The whole week just felt like constant shouting at kids / crying kids and then digs or sarcy comments about not getting support or time off (yet they don't give people chance to cos I don't think they really trust us with their kids anyway), or saying with great joy how we'd never cope with a 2nd child / can't wait till she's older so she can misbehave and take pressure off them with their kids etc... Ironically this pressure is all in their heads cos they assume everyone is as judgemental as they are :shock:
DH decided he doesn't want them round tomorrow so meeting in park and having pub lunch. Fingers crossed it doesn't rain :wet:

My avatar
Sophiebeth23
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Sophiebeth23 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Well mine was last weekend. Hell from start to finish. Firstly fil snoring work me and dd up all night the whole weekend. Secondly sil tried to tell me that my ergo and hope tye weren't as good as the crotch dangler she had offered to give me. Also as dd had hip issues surely she she only use a buggy. Corrected her on that. Thirdly the questions on why I insisted on feeding dd at her regular meal times and why she is being raised vegetarian. Fourthly how long did I plan on bf to then get told that it's sick to bf a baby over 1! Arg how I didn't kill them!

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:28 pm

Oh no!!! That sounds awful. Hope you explained that the crotch danglers in some cases have actually caused hip problems!

Wish people would back off breast feeding! Why the hell is is better to give children breast milk from another animal rather than a child's own mother. Even formula contains cows milk ergo breast milk of a cow!

Bet you are glad to be home! X

My avatar
Sophiebeth23
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Sophiebeth23 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:44 pm

I am thank goodness. But lucky me they have booked for next year already! While it is a lovely of them. My niece and nephew have zero boundaries and play up for high heaven. I didn't dare answer my bil when he asked if their parenting was to blame. What I wish I had said is time out only works if you give one warning not 36, don't you dare equals I dare you in a child's head, palming them off on grandparents at every opportunity equals why did you have kids. My bil actually said once you have 2 kids it's game over. They go out drinking most weekends. They think I'm boring as in teetotal

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:46 pm

Oh dear, sounds about as successful as our holiday :(
I don't know why people always feel the need to pass comment and judgement on anything slightly outside what they see as the norm?? :evil:
The week away definitely helped me to grow a pair of 'selective hearing ear muffs'! Now when a negative parenting comment comes my way from bil / sil (which is generally pretty regularly) my little pixie jumps onto my shoulders to pop the earmuffs on and bat the comment away :hohoho: :giggle: :hohoho:

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:51 pm

They sound about as happy with their home life as my in-laws... Let them stew in their negativity and enjoy your beautiful baby :bf: :bw: :love:

Previous

Tag Words

All tags for this topic

Return to Baby and Toddler