hf1

Reflux

My avatar
ponygirl
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Reflux

Postby ponygirl » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:24 am

I think my almost 4 week old has reflux, lots of sicking up feeds and a hiccups, wet burps and a cough, all of which look like symptoms. I remember dd had it and was prescribed gaviscon which didnt help and she didnt really get much better until weaning.

Have been trying to get in at gp but they fully booked but got hv later. Have been trying to feed and keep upright. Is there anything else I can do to help? Are there any meds other than gaviscon for bf babies?

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Reflux

Postby autumnalgirl » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:23 pm

Hugs, reflux is hard work, Aiden would scream and scream!
Raising the head of the cot can help, holding upright after a feed and if you are breast feeding, I found some foods irritated him more than others. They can give other meds, Aiden was on three different ones.
Hope the HV can help.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:21 pm

:hug: poor little man :(
All of mine have had it. Is he unhappy with it?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:41 pm

:hug: it is horrid isn't it? I'm not sure if Rémy has reflux or just colic but it makes him sad :( colic drops help so I guess it is probably that rather than reflux (although he seems to get acidy vomits sometimes and doesn't like lying down too so not sure).

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kim » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:00 pm

Willow has ranitidine. She has had it from a couple of weeks and dr told us to keep going with it this afternoon.

My avatar
ponygirl
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ponygirl » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:02 pm

He is more disgruntled than unhappy and is gaining weight, but the being sick upsets him and the cough too. Nights seem to be worse. Managed to get in at gp tomorrow. Hv didn't offer any advice

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:53 am

:hug: it's horrid.
Nights are usually worse, I think it's something like the acid building up over the day. The theory behind gaviscon is that it doesn t stop them being sick necessarily but it lines the oesophagus so that it doesn't hurt. Might be worth a try although it may cause the dreaded constipation.
As others have said keep upright ( easier said than done with another child and nursery runs to do!). Also winding by rubbing the back, shoulders rather than tapping I found to be better, and winding a few times in a feed so that wind doesn t get trapped and bring lots of milk up.

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby g murphy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:57 pm

Hugs. Reflux is awful. Naimh still suffers now at 2. She started off on gaviscon but that made her horribly constipated so switched to thickened formula which only helped slightly then on to ranitidine and formula changed to neocate ( due to cows milk allergy) along with carobel thickener. Ranitidine worked for a bit but then added domperidone which did nothing but make her poo loads and this made her sore. After endoscopy to check for any other problems she started on lansoprazole which seems to do the trick. X

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:02 pm

Reflux is exhausting!
J's got a lot better once weening was really established, although if she gets even a little under the weather she still sicks everywhere so I think it might end up a bit of a theme through childhood.
Our doctor didn't prescribe anything in the end as she's always been a big baby and fortunately kept putting on weight despite throwing up all the time. I suspect if your baby is unsettled rather than in pain with it and is still putting on weight then doc may decide to leave it. Mine did have colic as well though (and in hindsight I wonder if that was some silent reflux?). Anyway, keeping her upright for ideally at least 15-20 mins after a feed helped as well as lots of burping. If you have a sling then I would highly recommend using it round the house... Definitely kept me sane!

Return to Baby and Toddler