Living with an 18 month old Todzilla!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Living with an 18 month old Todzilla!

Postby clothmama » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:50 am

Heeeeeeeeeeeeellllllppppppppp. He is such a handful, willful, stroppy, gorgeous, insanely active, quite rough (hurts us when he is cross / frustrated - pinches, hairpulls etc). I think he may be quite smart, his vocab is enormous for his age, really short boredom threshhold. Doesn't help that his sleeping is still rubbish I'm exhausted! Would love some ideas and help to:
a/ keep him busy - what activities are good for this age?
b/ teach him not to be rough / willful naughtiness (ie throwing / breaking things just to get attention on purpose :x ), is it too early for time out / naughty step?

Seems like so long ago I did all this last time and I can't remember what to do!

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Living with an 18 month old Todzilla!

Postby laceybat » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:53 am

We had the same with Ross (still do really). We just kept removing him for the thing or us if hurting us and it seemed to work but it just about trying things. X

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:30 am

Way too early for naughty step and tbh it doesn't always work anyway.

Make a list of "naughty" behaviours. For each one what is the positive opposite. Pick only one to work on. Praise, praise, praise like mad every time he does it. TRY to ignore as much as possible but make a sad face to show disapproval naughtyness wise

Eg. For biting we did kisses instead. Tell them and show them how happy it makes you.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:53 am

Leon was a crazy toddler too so i hear you. He just wanted to smash stuff and break things! So I tried to create things that he could be destructive with and general just mess with, ideas......

1.sand pit and mud pit - helped him to build things with water mixed in so he could smash it up
2.I built up loads of blocks or towers of any kind ( he didnt have the patience to do the building) then he could knock everything down.
3.Digging/ messing/bug investigating - He STILL loves this
4.Rough and tumble, lots of skin contact, chasing, tickling, squeezing and squishing
5.Save any packing you get like polystyrene or bubble wrap then pop it and smash it up together
:giggle:

Little monkeys they are! The more positive one to one attention he gets the less likely he will do things to get attention. So obviously you sit and play with them for blocks of the day but when you have to do stuff its hard!

Cooking- In the kitchen I had a leon cupboard which he was allowed to mess with so all pans, wooden spoons and plastics- anything not sharp or breakable. He could empty it, throw it, bash with it or play the drums with pans
Cleaning - Leon has his own water spray and he follows me around and sprays everything including me and him, This has been since a toddler and now he actually does clean , even mops :whip: :hohoho:
DIY - Leon has his own real electric screw driver so will literally help to build things. I know it sounds crazy but its not like a drill or anything sharp. Both kids have had a tool belt since babies with pretend tools in so they can play at DIY but the screwdriver thing makes them feel so grown up. All those cupboards in my lounge me and leon did together. :shock:
Gardening - mini versions of everything so they can dig, rake, and just copy you.

Im sure i'll think of more :giggle:

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:31 am

For Eddie we remove ourselves saying that we don't like being hurt.

It has worked quite well. He's much better than he was.

It also takes the 'you're being naughty' thing away when actually, they're just trying to figure out some huge emotions.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:20 am

Great advice above - I need to follow some of it with my 3 year old terror. :shock:

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:09 am

Both our boys went through hair pulling/hitting. Jen didn't but maybe that's because she didn't have to share the attention so much. I find ben much easier when my attention is really focused on him. 1 to 1. A toddler group or class, playing in the park, when I'm not distracted or trying to do something else. I really try not to do time out as a punishment but if really necessary, I use it to just take them away from a situation, ideally with me or if I'm too angry, to give us both a minute space.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:12 am

Real tools also fab for us. A pin hammer, cork board and some tacks aren't too dangerous. Lots of physical space, so there are less rules a d restrictions.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:21 pm

Ideas play wise: Is he old enough for posting type things? Or water play where he can have a real paint brush and paint stuff? Or scrub stuff / toys with an old tooth brush.
Jigsaws?
Have you seen those things when they freeze some toys in water and then you bash them open with a hammer.
Ideas behaviour wise, just removal of said item if thrown or hit a person with. We put cars on a shelf for isaac ( didn't work for the girls though). If hurt a person, minimal discussion and attention. Just remove from person swiftly and either put on special place is step or just to sit them on the floor sometimes works. Make a big fuss of the person being hurt ( ott even if they are a big person who wouldn't normally get a fuss iykwim.

You ll work out what has the most impact on him, it's different for all of them.
Isaac doesn't like to be removed to 'the step' and I don't make him stay there. I ask him to sorry sorry to the person he has hurt but he's older than Remy. I then get the person to say 'thank you for saying sorry, it really hurt me' not ' it's ok' as I don't want him to think it's ok.

Return to Baby and Toddler