hf1

Weird teeth (molars)!

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Weird teeth (molars)!

Postby rhead » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:57 am

Lili had all 20 teeth by about 22 months, but something weird is going on with her back molars. A couple of months after they'd grown in, she seemed to be teething again (red cheeks, whingey), and I happened to notice that a couple of new points were coming through next to the existing teeth. It's identical on both sides, she now has two extra points on the inside of the normally formed tooth (6 instead of 4) - it's kind of hard to tell which teeth are which here :roll:, but the new bits are the ones on the left in this pic:

Anybody ever heard of anything like this? I did mention it to the doctor last time she was in and she seemed a bit bemused, but not concerned - just said keep an eye on it, and take her to the dentist at some point if I was worried (usually they don't bother seeing kids until they're around 6 over here). I know OH's brother had to have several operations because of overcrowding in his jaw - teeth were shattering :shock: from the pressure so he had to have some removed - and MIL said it wasn't just crowding, but that he actually had extra teeth. Wondering if it's some weird genetic thing, and something that might just go away when she loses her milk teeth or is likely to be a problem when she's older. :( Weird, huh??

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Weird teeth (molars)!

Postby fluffycabbage » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:00 am

i'd take her to the dentist for an xray, then you can see exactly whats going on. looks like its another tooth come through, but coz her mouth is too small for it its just pushed out where it could! I had the same, but at the front of my mouth, and had to have the extra tooth out (it was basically in the roof of my mouth :roll: ) x

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:13 am

I'd also take her to the dentist to get it checked out properly.

fluffycabbage wrote: I had the same, but at the front of my mouth, and had to have the extra tooth out (it was basically in the roof of my mouth :roll: ) x

I had the same thing!! :wine:

My avatar
cookiegirl
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cookiegirl » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:14 am

My brother has the exact same thing Lilli has, it's an extra tooth growing side by side.(in the same place too) It hasn't bothered him at all and wasn't removed. I'd take Lilli to the dentist if she seems bothered by it, or if you think it's affecting her other teeth.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:52 pm

I'd take her to the Dentist now - don't wait for it to become a problem...

My avatar
blondiee23
Clothie
Clothie

Postby blondiee23 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:58 pm

My daughter has the same teeth/problem, I'm wondering what you did and how Lili doing now? Thanks

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:53 pm

blondiee23 wrote:My daughter has the same teeth/problem, I'm wondering what you did and how Lili doing now? Thanks

This is a pretty old thread but I'll tag Rachel and maybe she'll get the notification (Hi Rachel :wave: if you do come on :wave: ) @rhead :D

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:17 am

Hi! Gosh, that does look weird (it was a long time ago!) - but believe it or not it all turned out all right in the end, whatever it was that was going on sorted itself out. I'd say it's worth pointing out to your paediatrician (or a dentist if your LO goes), but not to worry too much about it for now.

My avatar
Hsivia
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Hsivia » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:35 am

Is this called something? I'm trying to do some research because I just noticed it tonight! I'm panicking! My daughters tooth looks like it has 7 points!

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler