hf1

Paint

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Paint

Postby Woozle35 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:07 pm

Ages and ages ago I posted about making my living room brighter, I remember @northernruth posted about me painting in white. Well i am going to do it next week, would you recommend white matt emulsion one coat?

My avatar
MrC
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Admin

Re: Paint

Postby MrC » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:06 am

If your current paint colour is fairly light and homogeneous then from our experience it works pretty much as advertised. We've had to paint several rooms that were very strong colours like burgundy and it failed to do it in one coat in those cases.

I love white in the right place. I don't know what your room is like but I imagine it might have lots of wood in it, like a lot of the rooms we've built. White sets it off a treat :)

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:42 am

Mr Clothmama wrote:If your current paint colour is fairly light and homogeneous then from our experience it works pretty much as advertised. We've had to paint several rooms that were very strong colours like burgundy and it failed to do it in one coat in those cases.

I love white in the right place. I don't know what your room is like but I imagine it might have lots of wood in it, like a lot of the rooms we've built. White sets it off a treat :)

Wood :shock: us :shock: of course it has :giggle:

Yes being a typical yorkshire cottage we have tried to restore it as much as possible, so we have put in huge beams, original oak door and wood fireplace. Then our sofa is mainly wood and the piano (we were given both these on freecycle) We then painted the walls from the victorian collection, Craig and Rose 'dried plaster' and the ceiling is a lemon colour and main wall a dark red. But our room is so dark and is in need of a paint.

I am going to leave the main wall dark red and just paint the rest. Will post before and after pics. Will get that paint, thank you.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:13 am

I love the Farrow and Ball type whites althought the heritage emulsion is terrible for coverage. I'd get trade white paint as generally it's better quality - if there's a Farrow and Ball white you like then a trade decorators centre can mix up a match for you. Our decorators rarely use a second coat when they use trade emulsion

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:44 am

White & matt?! You're feeling very brave! :lookround: :giggle:

We've got two walls in the whole house painted in matt paint & I've sworn never again. It shows up every little mark & scuff and what with Erin and the cats (fosters & our own) there are a lot of marks, scuffs, hand & paw prints :giggle:
At least with silk type paints, I can wash them all off. And silk type paints reflect the light back around the room too, which I think makes it look brighter as well.

My experience of one coat type paints is that they do work ok on paler colours but not on dark colours, as long as you don't scrimp on the paint while you're painting. On dark wall colours, where we're going for a pale colour we've always just gone over it with a bog standard white paint and then whatever colour we've choosen.

Happy decorating! :happy:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Sorry Liz but I hate silk, I think it's horrible! All our walls are matt. Agree about the one coat tho, I don't think it's all that.

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks Ruth. Will have a nosey later at farrow and Ball for colours.

Liz I have a silk on one wall in my kitchen and don't like it. The craig and rose, dried plaster we have now in the living room is matt, I don't think it would look right with silk.

Return to Home Improvements