hf1

Bedroom with woodchip wallpaper

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Bedroom with woodchip wallpaper

Postby aimeet » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:18 pm

My whole house pretty much has woodchip and artex :oops: :puke: :drama: :nono: but as we don't have the money to get a plasterer in to sort it out after stripping and no way can either dh (who is useless at diy :giggle: ) or I (who is ok at it) even dream of plastering.
What I want to know is when we come to do the bedroom for the girls is there any way of jazzing up the walls. I love some of the designs of decals but they don't work on 'textured' walls so can't use them :doh: :cry:
Would you dare a mural or stick with putting pictures up?
I want a woodland theme and have some really lovely things in mind but don't think it will happen for a while.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Re: Bedroom with woodchip wallpaper

Postby Louise » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:44 pm

Honestly I would try plastering. My DH is pretty useless at DIY and replastered our ceiling when we pulled off the awful textured paper that was on it. He actually did a pretty good job! Or there's that smoothover stuff you can buy that's meant to cover textured walls -http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/polycell_smoothover_your_textured_walls.jsp

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:14 am

DO you know that the walls are bad underneath? I'd strip it - I stripped woodchip off the livign room walls at my first house and it was a helluva job but the walls were fine underneath. I then lined them and painted the lining paper. Wallpapering is pretty easy.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:21 am

northernruth wrote:DO you know that the walls are bad underneath? I'd strip it - I stripped woodchip off the livign room walls at my first house and it was a helluva job but the walls were fine underneath. I then lined them and painted the lining paper. Wallpapering is pretty easy.

Ooh yes, forgot about lining paper :doh: We've done that too.

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:49 am

@northernruth the walls are wobbly with the paper on, not crumbly but noy flat, lol.
@Louise I will check out that smoother paint we have the whole house to do so may be a good temporary solution.

Thankies ladies :D

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:49 pm

errr, whats wrong with woodchip?! lol! I had it on my bedroom wall as a child and loved picking the bits off much to my mothers annoyance ti he!

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:22 pm

I hate it with a passion, the picking would annoy me soooooo much. I dread the day Pea starts to do that.
We also haven't decorated since we moved in 6 1/2 yrs ago! :oops: and I want to get it looking fresh and cottagey like it should.

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:16 am

I plastered my entire kitchen. The previous person not so wisely decided to tile using concrete as the adhesive so the whole lot had to be gone over. It was pretty easy and very satisfying-like decorating a cake. I also like tiling too and did my bathroom. You'll be suprised at how easy some things are-just requires a little bit of care :)

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:44 pm

I've never tried plastering to a smooth finish, but could imagine doing it if I had the time and no children distracting me.

Next

Return to Home Improvements