Living with very hard water.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Living with very hard water.

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:06 pm

The Dordogne is split into 4 areas by colour (purple for the wine, green for the forest, can't remember the other). We are living in what is known as the Perigord blanc - or white Perigord and for good reason, all the houses are built from quite white stones - limestones so the water is super hard. I've never really lived in a hard water area and not keen on what it does to my kettle! I'm also concerned about what it is doing to my new washing machine. The old owner had left some special tablets that you are supposed to add to every wash which I've now run out of and unsure if I should be getting more or if a cycle of vinegar every couple of weeks would do the job or some other trick. Nappies seem OK so far, not gone uber crunchy but I'm still using the last of the Bold 2 in 1 I had from the UK and you can’t get it here :( Maybe I need to put in an order with visitors :hohoho:

Do you live in a hard water area? What tips do you have?

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Living with very hard water.

Postby Dancing mum » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:15 pm

I live I London which is a hard water area. Tbh I don't do anything at all :oops:
you can buy Calgon tablets (probably other brands available) which you put in each wash to stop limescale buildup.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:40 pm

Just more frequent maintenence washes on your machine!
Just to keep on top of the limescale

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:45 pm

You can get magnets that go on your washing machine pipes that stop the limescale getting to the machine, if i get a new machine i'd probably get one. (Google limescale inhibitor for washing machine, amazon does them)

You could install a water softener but that might be expensive and you would need to keep buying salt for it.

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:36 pm

It is the kettle thing that bothers me too. I have found a metal BBQ stick (the one you put food on, can't work out how to spell it tonight), very good for getting some of the tough bits off. My washing machine mainly seems fine (we use ariel). I like crunchy towels though. My hair always feels better in soft water areas though.

Return to Home Improvements