hf1

Nappy Rash!

My avatar
T8ty
Clothie
Clothie

Nappy Rash!

Postby T8ty » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:11 pm

My DD has been in cloth nappies for 3 days now i have been changing her about every 3 hours or after a poo.

We have been using tot bots with a fleece liner in.. and occasionally a paper liner instead..

All of a sudden she has developed a very spotty rash on her girly area :(

Shes never had nappy rash before so im probably worrying.. a little too much... but i presumed i was changing her enough etc?

Any thoughts anyone please share! Thanks xxx

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Nappy Rash!

Postby Bluebell » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:29 pm

Yes 3 hours should be fine, some children react to fleece, I would maybe try them without the liners. What is your washing regime? Are the nappies new or preloved? Are you using washable wipes (just wondering if it could be the wipe solution?)? Are you drying her skin before putting the nappy on? Sorry, lots of questions!

My avatar
Slebro
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Slebro » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:52 pm

Every 3 hours is about what I do now, my son is 1, I don't know how old your daughter is but when he was smaller we changed lots more than that. Maybe if her nappies are totally sodden when you're changing, you could be changing more often? Like Bluebell says, we found that making sure ds is totally dry before putting the next nappy on is really important in keeping him rash free - we normally use just water but even if using disposable wipes we dry him with a clean flannel after. We do use fleece liners all the time and if he is a little bit pink use a little sudocrem or metanium. He gets well oiled at night, too, which I'm sure helps! Hope it clears up quickly.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:09 pm

What does the rash look like? Could it be a yeast infection? When William was a few days old he got a rash on his tum, willy and legs, white spots that burst when wiped and it turned out to be a yeast infection, a couple days of cantestan cleared it.

Some lo's react to fleece and it can also be prone to build up x

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:34 pm

I remember when we swapped ds to cloth. He got a rash for a few days, if I remember rightly I was told it's where his skin was adjusting :-S. It disappeared after a few days and never returned again!

My avatar
T8ty
Clothie
Clothie

Postby T8ty » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:03 pm

Wow thanks for all the replys! she's 8months old we are new to the cloth bum team but loving it! Its just usual nappy rash I think from seeing it at the nursery I used to work at. The nappies are all new but washed twice with small amount of powder and that potion stuff? I haven't been drying her skin which could be where I am going wrong however we are still using disposable wipes for the moment and haven't had problems before!ill try changing her tomorrow more often to see if that helps.. Also can I use cream with fleece liners? I don't want to ruin my nappies? (also is it worth using a disposable at night?she sleeps 7 till 9 she didn't leak when I used a insert and a bamboo booster but was a little damp when I changed her?) Thanks again ladies lots to think about and all very helpful! X x

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:06 pm

what is the potion stuff :giggle: Make sure you do a couple of extra rinses as well once the nappies are done washing. Yes you can use cream with fleece liners but it may clog the liners but they are easily and cheaply replaced, always use a liner when you use cream to protect your nappies. As much nappy free time as possible as well is great for their knin and also make sure it is dry before you pop the nappy on.

Fc it clears up soon xx

My avatar
T8ty
Clothie
Clothie

Postby T8ty » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:20 pm

The magic potion is the white power you add to the wash to almost sanitise the nappies I guess! Do I need it? Yeh I think some nappy off time is in order too! Thank youuuu x

Return to Nappy Rash