hf1

Help!

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Help!

Postby sophie90 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:29 pm

We apparently have hard water, but I still find that if I use the amount recomended we get a slight soapy residue on everything, so always use less powder, I haven't been doing the extra rinses/machine cleans or strip washes so will give that a go and see if it helps at all, Would be fab if it did!
Would love to have him in cloth and dont want to feel resigned to disps when the nappies we have been trying just arent working :( as I think the disp nappies are probably not helping the rash very much (I know they didnt with Zach) I am wondering if the rash is linked to the fact he has excema, but have never seen anything like it before and the GP we saw did not seem to think there was any link at the time..

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby sophie90 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Would it be best to clean the machine before doing a strip wash on the nappies? Going to clean the drawer out too as it's a bit gross :oops:

My avatar
emmab16
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby emmab16 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:43 pm

sophie90 wrote:Would it be best to clean the machine before doing a strip wash on the nappies? Going to clean the drawer out too as it's a bit gross :oops:

my machine got a bit manky so I did a 60 wash with nothing in & that seemed to help, just have to keep the drawer open when not doing washing as it gets really mouldy :(

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Mon May 07, 2012 7:47 pm

My DS was a heavy wetter and the I ly thing that worked for us for a while was fitted's with a ME air flow wrap and a hemp booster. Have you looked at little gum buts I know they are meant to be amazing for heavy wetter's but I haven't seen many on the pre loved section.
As for the rash I can only use fairy to wash DD's nappies and then j have to rince three times and only use 2 tablespoons. As for the rash treatment obviously whatever your doctor says but I would try as much air time as you can manage.

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby sophie90 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:13 pm

I hadn't been looking at fitteds, We've been using mainly pockets/pop-ins etc so will give them a look over. Thank you :)
I had been using less powder for the nappies, but I am wondering if it is still too much even tho we supposedly live in a hard water area? Will try using less again when I wash after the strip wash, We used fairy before switching over to Daz and it really didnt agree with Leo's skin (not alot does though to be honest, and have been wondering about switching over to more natural brands)
We used metanium as suggested by the doctor and although it seemed to help the rash to 'crust' it didnt actually get rid of it, my mum did aromatherapy and has made a cream for him and my nephew and it's the same one she made for me and my brother when we had really bad excema rashes so we are giving that a go to see if it helps.
Have been putting the cream on and then leaving him to get air to his bum so that they cream doesnt waterproof the nappies :)
xx

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon May 07, 2012 8:20 pm

Give him as much nappy free time as possible with no cream on, the air can work wonders.
A clean washing machine is essential, clean your detergent drawer regular and do maintenance washes regular, when i clean my detergent drawer I use a toothbrush to get right up into the bit the drawer goes into.

A good couple of cold rinses is a essential to make sure all powder is rinsed off, rinse until you no longer see soap bubbles. Do you do a cold rinse before washing as well?

My avatar
sophie90
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby sophie90 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:26 pm

I had been cold rinsing before washes, but not after :oops:
I am about to go and tackle the drawer and put the machine on a maintenance wash now and then tomorow I will strip wash all the nappies, should I do the wraps as well? Will they be Ok on a 60 wash?

Thank you all for the advice :) Hoping it will help as I felt terrible sticking Leo back in a disposable tonight :(
xx

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Mon May 07, 2012 8:33 pm

I wash everything on 60 to kill bugs I'm Soton and we have very hard water but I still find I need several rinses after.
I have use the Eco balls and they did work well but I broke one :oops: camomile tea also works wonder when DD's bot is soar.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Mon May 07, 2012 8:42 pm

Cream is good with nappies to protect the skin - either stick to disps until it clears or use fleece liners which you can scrub the cream out of but def as kirsty said as much nappy free time as poss with a clean, no cream on bottom - it works wonders. If the rash persists i would take him back to the GP, it could well be fungal and need special cream.

My DD had various rash problems until we discovered she was sensitive to wetness. I found Metanium was the best cream for drying out a red/wet rash, bepanthem is good for helping it to heal in the final stages when it is pink but above all - fresh air, as much of it as you can, even during nap times (i used to layer towels up on a fleece blanket) and if it doesnt improve after a couple of days, see the GP x

PreviousNext

Return to Nappy Rash