hf1

Calling all rash experts!

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Calling all rash experts!

Postby Amanda » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:37 pm

Evening! Connor has developed a rash that started off around his waist earlier today, so I thought his nappy must've been irritating him for some reason. He'd had a long nap and I thought perhaps the nappy was just very wet and this had irritated him for some reason. Dh did the next nappy change and didn't mention it so I didn't think about it again. But at bedtime I noticed that it's spread up under his arms. It started off being just red in general, but now is slightly raised blotches. I've googled ringworm but the patches aren't scaly and don't seem to be itchy. He's fine in himself, had a cold while we were away, but that's cleared up now. I was using a different detergent while we were away but would've expected any kind of reaction to show when he first had contact with it, not a week later. The only other thing I can think of is that his t-shirt was bought in a charity shop and I'm not 100% sure that I washed it :oops: . But although the rash is now in his armpits it definitely started at his waist so I can't see that it would be anything to do with the t-shirt. His arms, legs and back are fine, it's worst around his belly button where it's all red rather than individual blotches...

Any ideas?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Calling all rash experts!

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:06 pm

Hmmm not sure - does sound like an allergic reaction if it's blotchy and red :?
Allergic reactions to foods often start on the front area and work their way else wehre so has he eaten anything different recently?

Other than suggesting you smother him in aqueous calamine cream and give him a bath and stick him in a cotton allinone with a dose of piriton I'm not sure what to suggest really... Hopefully it'll have died down tomorrow morning... xxx

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:58 pm

um, have you been anywhere near chicken pox? I have seen it start in warm nappy areas before spreading across the rest of the body, but it seems to have spread too quickly for that.

Could it have been normal heat rash? Down south it is still very warm and if he was front sleeping perhaps he just got super hot?

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:41 am

It does sound like a reaction to something, hope he wasnt uncomfortable with it overnight. It could be the t-shirt, whatever it has been washed in previously mixed with Connor being a bit warmer when he was napping could have started it, and its spread as his body has reacted to it. Could again be a heat rash, or it could be his bodys way of dealing with a viral infection. If it hasnt cleared up I would take him to the GP this morning, but piriton and calamine lotion would help make him more comfortable in the meantime.

>:D< Connor >:D<

Sadie xx

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:17 am

what does his actual belly button look like? sometimes they can get an infection - red/inflamed, and then a rash can spread out from that

My avatar
millercl_6
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby millercl_6 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:27 am

emmm not sure have you found out what it is yet my son has sensitive skin has some form of exema that when i change fabric wash or anything different he comes out in a rash hes got a rash the now on his knees. hope it clears up.

My avatar
Emma S
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Emma S » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:38 pm

is the rash itchy at all, or does it have any 'spots' associated with it. It is quite common to develope a rash after a vius (like the cold you mentioned) as sometimes the toxins associated with the virus come out via the skin. oats soaked in a stocking in warm water is very soothing, and also fantastic were it chicken pox (though it doesnt really sound like it)
poor soul, hope he is better soon.

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:20 pm

Thanks for the replies, it was something and nothing really! It had faded quite a bit by this morning and he didn't seem bothered by it during the night, so I didn't go to the doctor. Then I looked this afternoon and saw that some of the blotches had faded in the middle but left pink rings so rang to try to get an appointment in case it's ringworm. The on-call doctor rang me back and said that it didn't sound like ringworm given how it started, which is good as we had a friend and her little girl and baby over this morning!

I know he didn't react badly to the different washing powder while we were away, but I was thinking perhaps there was a bit of a build-up; for some reason I didn't do an extra rinse cycle on the nappies while on holiday but I do at home.

So, none the wiser really, but at least it's nothing to worry about :D

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:41 pm

Glad its settling down and not giving him a problem.

Next

Return to Nappy Rash