hf1

My poor little V's bum :'(

My avatar
katherineeah1
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

My poor little V's bum :'(

Postby katherineeah1 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:58 pm

Yesterday I took V out with me in the afternoon to go help at an antenatal session. She was as good as gold the whole time (is there a smiley to show a proud mummy?! XD) then promptly fell asleep in my lap ten minutes before the end. So I popped her on her blanket for a little sleep while I chatted to a couple of people, then put her in the pram (as I'm in between slings) and trundled off to the nearest baby changing facilities. So she was in that nappy for about 4 hours (unusual, but not unheard of for her and it was a pretty absorbent one) before I popped her in her night nappy, took her out for a bite to eat and walked her home.

She went to bed screaming her eyes out the poor pickle and it wasn't until 2am when she was inconsolable that I noticed sores on her bum! :cry: I feel so guilty at not having noticed them, and so confused as I can't pinpoint where they've come from! They definitely weren't there in the morning and today they're bright red, purple in places and weepy.

What have I done to my poor baby?! :cry: anyone got any advice or had anything like this, she's never had anything this bad before :(

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: My poor little V's bum :'(

Postby fivefourfour » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:15 pm

Poor lamb. I take it it wasn't a new nappy? You haven't changed detergent or washing routines? Sorry, don't know how old she is, but could it be teething or something similar?

My avatar
katherineeah1
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby katherineeah1 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:01 pm

She's 16 months, I haven't changed any washing routines but she's not teething atm.
The night nappy was a new nappy that I borrowed off the lady that runs my local nappy library but it was the first time she's ever used it and it was on for about 2 hours before she started becoming really upset. Omg, could that have been it? Could it have given her these sores in that space of time? When I changed her out of the nappy she'd been in all afternoon she was soo wet and a tiny bit pink, but I took it to be where she'd been in it for longer than normal, stuck some sudocrem on it and popped a clean one on... the pink marks were nothing like the horrible ones she has on now tho... :(

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:07 pm

I didn't want to read and run but FC ahe'a a bit better tomorrow.

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:43 am

my DD used to get this from minky and fleece lined nappies. whaat type of inners do you usually use and what is the new one? did you wash the new nappy before using it, could be detergent from that.

Not sure wht to suggest but when we had this we changed DD to BV lined holdens landings with paper liners

Hope it clears up soon and she isn't in much pain :hug: :hug:

My avatar
katherineeah1
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby katherineeah1 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:00 am

Thanks guys xx

Normally I use either a kushie with at least 3 boosters, or a little lamb bamboo with one booster and a fleece wrap (depending on what's clean and dry), then I pop a disposable liner in whatever nappy she has on. The new nappy was a weenotions, i did wash it beforehand but not on an intensive wash, just a normal one...

OH wants to take her to the on call doctors today to check it isn't a yeast infection. He was thinking maybe the heat and her being in it that little bit longer may have set something off. I don't think it is but I'm not a doctor :/

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:12 am

If its red, purple and weeping its not likely to be a yeast infection. That usually starts out as a few red spots and spreads. My DD had this last week and we got some timodene from the GP. They generally prescribe it for nappy rashes as it contains 4 active ingredients so one of them should work. I'd try stripping the new nappy to remove any detergent incase she is reacting to that.

My avatar
katherineeah1
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby katherineeah1 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:33 pm

Well I thought that yeast infections are a bit more...lumpy? As opposed to blotches of sore patches, if you get me? Yeah that's what the GP gave us, although I read on an eczema site that if you're given steroid-based creams then it's a good idea to use natural products to try and heal the skin under the top layer. Did you do that?

Thanks, yeah I think I will give stripping a go. I think I might do all the nappies she uses for night and naptimes while her skin's this raw.

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:59 pm

In m experience, detergents don't really build up enough to cuase such a problem in this country (although I know I'm in the minority in this regard). It might have been the fabric? A good hot wash is a good idea, as it might also have bacterial build up if it hasn't been washed using enough detergent.

Next

Return to Nappy Rash