hf1

how do you know when it's an infection?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: how do you know when it's an infection?

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:11 pm

Erk - glad it's clearing up but pants that it took so long!

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:36 pm

doc also prescribed gentian violet (nobody warned me it would stain so i poured some on a cotton wool pad and had purple fingers for two days 8) ), so i put that on when i got it the next evening and it looked worse in the morning! like the sores, which had always been dry, were weeping a little. :| DH said to carry on with it for a bit, but i'm not happy after 2 nights (more redness, and i'm not sure it's not spreading) so am going to give up on that and see if the antibiotics work their magic. poor dd!! i can't remember when she last had a spot-free bum. i think it's been 2 months. :cry:

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:53 pm

Oh poor Lili - I really hope the anti-biotics work their magic soon >:D<

Sadie xx

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:55 pm

She's being a really good sport, but my inability to get rid of it is starting to get me down. :? We're halfway through the course of antibiotics, so fingers crossed...

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:00 pm

DD now has horrible red welts all over - possibly from me over-applying the gentian violet the first night, as I didn't really know what I was doing and subsequently read that it should only be applied directly on the affected areas, and I kind of swabbed it on :oops: - and it looks like the tops have come off all the blisters, and when I changed her at lunchtime they were all actually bleeding. :cry:

I don't know if this is progress (have read that you need to "dissolve" the scabs because the bacteria lives underneath them, and at least they're all open now), but it looks HORRIBLE. Guess I'll call the doc and ask for an opinion - off to read about bleeding bums in this forum as well as I'm sure I saw some references.

Have switched to 'sposies as well, as I don't really want poor DD bleeding in her lovely nice nappies, and I suppose they might keep her a little drier. DH suggested some talcum powder as well. Sigh.

My avatar
Joaninha
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Joaninha » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:07 pm

>:D< >:D< for you and Lili.
Hopefully this is the top of the hill, and the antibs will continue to work their magic, and she will be fresh bummed once again...

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:20 pm

I think it's finally getting better - most of the redness is gone, just a couple of scaly bits left, and no more bleeding. :| It still looks awful, especially as she's now covered in bright purple spots (pediatrician recommended carrying on with the gentian violet as it should help dry up the weepy blisters, and it seems to stick to the open skin quite tenaciously!)... but we do seem to be on the mend. Poor little mite.

Previous

Return to Nappy Rash