hf1

Nappy rash help!

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Nappy rash help!

Postby Hannahboo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:56 pm

We are really struggling with nappy rash on Noahs bum, in some parts it is red raw, poor little thing is in so much pain when we have to change his nappy :cry: It has been like this since he was a few days old but gets better then it flares up again. Darcy only ever suffered with a sore bum 2-3 times but that wasn't until she was much older and was teething etc..

We have tried everything we can think of, changing wipes, different creams, nappy free time, different nappies etc but still it doesn't seem to be getting much better. He poo's constantly, I mean we change his nappy and within minutes he is dirty again. I never remember Darcy pooing this much :-? At the moment we are using disposables more than cloth as they seem better on his bum, which really surprises me! Also, I just cant keep up with the washing, I am having to wash the nappies every day, but as we have no tumble dryer they are taking 24-48 hours to dry. I just dont know what to do, we love our cloth nappies and I'm really not ready to give them up at 3 weeks but I need to find a way to make them work for us so that he is not getting a sore bum, have tried with liners, without liners, and he is being changed frequently, and probably the longest he goes with a nappy on is over night where he probably has it on roughly 3-4 hours, but during the day he is being changed much more frequently.

So, any words of wisdom, or advice on what we can try to ease his poor sore bum?

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Nappy rash help!

Postby BingBongBoo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:23 pm

:hug: :hug: Poor wee man. Nappy rash is horrible. If it's really persistent , have you considered getting a doctor to take a look? When my DD2 had a rash that wouldn't go away, she was prescribed Timodene (sp?) which really helped. :hug: :hug: Hope it clears up soon.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Could be infected/thrush so might be worth getting GP to have a look. We have the opposite -Nathan pooed loads compared to Jacob.

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:23 pm

aww bless poor boy :( . when keira had her ecoli bug her bottom was red raw and bleeding it was awful, the only thing i found that worked was showering her bum with warm water, patting dry then putting a thick layer of metanium cream on with a disposable nappy (there no way i would put metanium cream near my cloth ones as it doesnt wash off). Might be worth a try? as the others have said would be best to get checked by gp in case its thrush or something.

Hope you get sorted soon :hug:

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby sim » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:38 pm

Oh :hug: poor boy!
Ewan had hideous, hideous nappy rash when he was teeny. The thing that cleared it for us was a thick layer of metanium (ALWAYS USE A LINER!!!!)
I also stopped eating citrus and tomatoes as these seemed to make both the rash and his colic far worse
xx

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:21 pm

I've heard that egg whites really helps but never tried it myself :hug:

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:32 pm

Scarlett was exactly the same hub, drove me potty!!

She constantly pooped tiny bits which meant she often had a sore bottom as I couldn't avoid it short of her being nappy free all the time.

I ended up doing all naps nappy free and using metanium to clear the rash and then a barrier cream when ontop of it.

Bepantham was my fave then as it was moisturising after the dryness of metanium.

Obv use liners to protect your nappies x

Hopefully he will slow down shortly, Scarlett was a few months old when she suddenly went the other way and only pooped once a week - I was relieved!!

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:45 pm

Thanks everyone. I dont think its thrush but if its still bad in a day or 2 I will get him checked out. I think he must just have really sensitive skin :-? its more like the skin is just red as opposed to a kind of rash if that makes sense it seems to get bad and we put cream on and within a day or 2 it has cleared only for it to come back a few days later. Maybe we should be putting cream on at every change instead of just when it starts to get sore. Its actually starting to get better already after some nappy free time and plenty of cream so fingers crossed it will be cleared up soon. I think he may have a slight intolerance to something I am eating too as he has had green poo on and off and I really dont think its down to him only getting fore milk as he is draining my boobs at feeds. He doesn't seem bothered by it so it cant be upsetting his tummy but just making his poo green. He is content and settled between feeds and sleeps well at night but will start keeping an eye on what I am eating in case it is linked to that x

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Yes, you always need a cream to protect his bum x

Next

Return to Nappy Rash