Tips to improve baby's tummy and nappy rash

My avatar
piccola15
Clothie
Clothie

Tips to improve baby's tummy and nappy rash

Postby piccola15 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help as I really don't want to give up on cloth but my baby has developed a very sore looking rash which is mostly on his tummy at the top of the nappy but also now starting to spread to around his thighs and inside the nappy. I think it is probably a contact rash because of where it started but because he has sensitive skin it is now spreading. I have read that contact rashes can be due to an allergy to latex if using exposed elastic or chafing.

I use little lambs and lollipops with LL wraps and itti bitti d'lish. I think (although I'm doing a day of testing to make sure) that the ittis are not doing as much damage. Has anyone experienced this and found particular nappies to be better than others or to get rid of the problem completely? He hardly ever had any sign of nappy rash when he was in disposables but I really don't want to go there!

Thanks,

J x

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Tips to improve baby's tummy and nappy rash

Postby aimeet » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:58 am

Could it be the pul in the ll wraps doing it do you think? Maybe that or you need to strip your nappies. It may be a case of changing your stash. I found nappy rash cleared when I started using wool. Also what liners do you use?
Hth x

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:14 am

Aimee has good suggestions, and perhaps in the short term you could leave your little boy nappy-less for as long as possible to help it heal now.

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:55 am

I would suggest using wool as well. Especially over night. We really struggling to get a wrap that fitted monster properly until recently and he ended up with nasty marks all around his nappy.

When your at home, could you leave the wrap off to see if that is what's causing the problem?

My avatar
piccola15
Clothie
Clothie

Postby piccola15 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi everyone,

thank you for your replies.

My Mum is a very handy knitter but unfortunately both he and I are allergic to wool! So wool is a no go. His Dad and I both have eczema so in part I think it is due to that. I know that when mine was bad any wetness affected it, even having a bath with stuff for eczema in it. I also think it could be the PUL affecting him maybe because he is sensitive to it but possibly because he is at the stage where he is trying to lean forward all the time so is constantly moving his skin against the top of the nappy.

I have bought enough fabric to make 3 nappies myself and I'm going to have a go (with the Darling Diapers pattern as suggested!) but I am going to try to do it with velcro tabs at the side instead. I figure this will mean less bulk for him to push against when he is throwing himself forward and I can adjust the taps to make sure the nappy isn't cutting in to his big fat belly! (such a little chunk!) Also I am making both the outer and inner out of minkee because I think (and I hope I'm right) that it'll keep the wetness off his skin and stay soft.

Those of you experienced in this stuff, does that sound like a good plan or have I got it all wrong?! There are so many materials to use for nappies and it gets confusing!

Jen :) x

Return to Nappy Rash