hf1

New to cloth got nappy rash.fleece certain way up?

My avatar
mathremuk
Clothie
Clothie

New to cloth got nappy rash.fleece certain way up?

Postby mathremuk » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:23 am

Hello ladies

We have only been in cloth fours days at present and not really fully overnight yet.

Baby suffers from nappy rash with disposables so have to bethapan every other change.

Stupidly i thought i wouldnt have to use this with cloth and her butt would be fine.

So she now has a rash and i dont know why its happened as there could be a whole host of reasons.

1.. i was using pampers wipes so ive gone back to water and cotton wool. Im just making some reusable wipes from an old towel at present. When they are done can anyone suggest a good solution to make?

2..the fleece liners??? I bought microfleece and made my own liners. Is there a right or wrong side to these liners?? I stupidly bought navy and cant see a difference in the sides. I think her skin has felt damp on occasions when i change her.

I dont think its time in nappy as 2.5-3 hrs is the max time we change.

I use ME One size, terry and cheapo pockets.

From reading on this forum i am ok to put bethapan on with the liners and after each change im going to air her for 10 mins. Hope this helps clear her up.

Comments and suggestions more than welcome. Feel like im out of my depth a bit!!!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: New to cloth got nappy rash.fleece certain way up?

Postby clothmama » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum @mathremuk :wave:

mathremuk wrote:1.. i was using pampers wipes so ive gone back to water and cotton wool. Im just making some reusable wipes from an old towel at present. When they are done can anyone suggest a good solution to make?

Honestly I think that disposable wipes are one of the main culprits for nappy rash, hopefully water will do a much better job and keep the rash at bay. Have you already noticed a difference since stopping the pampers? There are lots of lovely soothing and protective mixes that you can make up yourself that I believe do a great job keeping rashes at bay and helping if you do get them. My recipe and some others are here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=119446

mathremuk wrote:2..the fleece liners??? I bought microfleece and made my own liners. Is there a right or wrong side to these liners?? I stupidly bought navy and cant see a difference in the sides. I think her skin has felt damp on occasions when i change her.

Dont' worry about that the side doesn't matter. If bub has recently wee'ed it can feel a little damp if it hasn't soaked through yet, you'll probably find she isn't worried at all by it.

I really really rate the Weleda Calendula babycreme it seems to sort out any redness really really quickly. You are doing the right thing with nappy off time as well.

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:58 pm

Great advice ^^
I used bepanthan with cloth nappies and had no issues with the nappies. Definitely stick with the plain water for wiping, even sensitive wipes can sting the skin on my face so I agree they can be a culprit for causing a rash.
Did you pre wash the liners before using? There may have been some manufacture residue on the fabric that could have irritated the skin as well.
It is really a bit of trial and error at this stage, don't worry about asking any questions, everyone here is really helpful.

My avatar
mathremuk
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mathremuk » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:39 pm

Hi ladies

Thanks for the responses!!!

I have noticed a difference today if im honest. I also stopped slaring on bethapan like its going out of fashion. Read a thread that said a thin layer is better.

Shes back in a disposable tonight. i figure get the day routine down without rash then move onto night.

Thanks for the links to the recipes. Can i make them without an essential oil. So just olive oil and water? I just havent got anything in at the moment.

Yeah i washed the liners a few times with the nappies. the seemed better today. I just left her in terrys with a liner without a wrap so each and every wee i could change her and she seemed drier than before.

i will see how i get on in the next few days.

Thanks so much.

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:07 am

I found silk liners really helped to clear up a nasty nappy rash jacob had when teething. I think I put them against his skin, but still kept the fleece underneath to draw the moisture away, but it was very long time ago. Maybe someone else knows more about using silk to clear nappy rash?

Percy gets a rash from disposable wipes and from disposable nappies, so things might clear easier once you're out of dispies at night too.

I also find any rash totally disappears using wool soakers instead of wraps. This is my standard at night, and clears any redness that may have developed during the day.

My avatar
PixieFix
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby PixieFix » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:38 am

I second the weleda calendula cream, its great stuff but a bit pricy. However, I find a little bit goes a long way :D
I did read, on the Nappy Lady website I think, that babies can sometimes have a rash when they first go into cloth while they adjust, so it might just go away in a while. Also, my little one gets a bright pink bum from disposables so when you stop them that could help too.

My avatar
mathremuk
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mathremuk » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:15 am

Hey ladies.

Im out of the disposables and managed to clear up that rash but if i dont put bethapan on ever other change it comes back. Maybe shes just one of those babies that gets a rash!?!

im knitting myself a soaker now so we will see if it helps :)

My avatar
mathremuk
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mathremuk » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:17 am

Oh btw I love the name Percy!!!! Loving the old fashioned names. We have a Shirley here :)

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:26 pm

Glad you are having some success

Return to Nappy Rash