nappy rash

My avatar
lilchick
Clothie
Clothie

nappy rash

Postby lilchick » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:36 pm

Hi
not sure where to put this so here will do!
my lo (23 weeks) has nappy rash.
what do you do for this when advised not to use barrier creams etc with cloth...
i have tried a variety of things and am finding that good oul sudocrem works the best
and it doesnt seem to have affected his nappies but am using it in small amounts.
he has the rash on his legs and tum where the nappy touches him but im not sure what exactly is causing it, wouold love to blame evil disp as use these the odd time but have stopped once this appeared and tbh the rash hasnt quite cleared up.
it def looks better since using sudocrem consistently.

what do other ppl use please?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: nappy rash

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:38 pm

There is a nappy rash section further down the board :)
viewforum.php?f=17

I'll move this post there later... Have a read :)

(And I'll post a proper reply later too!)

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:27 am

When I use barrier creams I either use paper liners or Fleece liners. If you've got an old fleece blanklet you no longer use I'd cut it up and use to line the nappy. Or as I have done, go to your local material/sewing shop and buy half a metre of fleece - you can usually pick so up quite cheap. Also if the rash seems to only be on his tummy and legs then it may be that your nappies/wraps are rubbing slightly.

My avatar
lilchick
Clothie
Clothie

Postby lilchick » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:36 pm

thanks for moving us velvetsteph! i had no idea this board was here, had looked before posting and couldnt see anywhere in particular to put it but i obviously didnt look very hard!
ds rash has come back the last day or two, think cos had him in 2 disposables on friday, it always seems to be worse after disp. i have read some of the other posts on the board and there is a lot of info to take in and try!
we had been using fucidin but didnt really help much. also been using bepanthen (cant see that it has helped much), sudocrem was great when started using it but now doesnt seem to be helping. also tried kamillosan and a healing salve with lots of friendly stuff in it.
we use a lot of bg, and im reading here that a lot of people think they can cause rashes? i've just bought a load of new pocket nappies to try out as ds has just about outgrown his size 1s. we use bamboo with lots of inserts and wool wraps at night and find the combination great. i am wondering if he has sensitive skin like his mama though..

thanks girls, will read on and make a list of new things to try!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:45 pm

I've heard good things about metanium, though I haven't actually used it personally!

Do you give your LO nappy free time, this can be a massive help!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:13 am

I agree with Hanna, nappy free time is great and at nappy change time I tend just to use my homemade re-usable wipes or cotton wool with plain water. Gracie has a teething rash just now so it's sudocreme for us which is great and we always use a fleece line in her nappy to prevent the cream going on to the nappy and causing build up.

Hope his botty is better soon. x

My avatar
lilchick
Clothie
Clothie

Postby lilchick » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:28 pm

thanks everyone for your very helpful suggestions
now using liners with nappies to prevent build ups, but think his rash must be teething related as it comes and goes in severity. I think he may have thrush too (little red spots??) as I had nipple thrush recently from taking antibiotics. i have ordered some calendula nappy cream (was sold out in my local shops) as i have heard this is excellent. also been using a powder i bought from a favourite online herbal shop (etsy.com) which i think is making big difference to rash when it is bad (has arrowroot in it among other things). trial and error i guess! my gp recommended changing his nappies hourly when it is bad as the wee will only irritate and make it worse so may use disp when that bad as otherwise will very quickly run out of nappies!
anyway, off to bed with me now for much needed early night, sounds like the wee man is in dream land which is where i hope to be shortly :)

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:35 pm

Hiya

Just wanted to add (if you didn't already know) that if he has thrush, you need to wash your nappies at 60C after treating with an anti-fungal to prevent re-infection. Hope it clears up soon.

Becky x

Return to Nappy Rash