hf1

Nappy rash Q

My avatar
Diner
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Nappy rash Q

Postby Diner » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:29 am

I am hoping someone out there can help me....Jon (6mths) has had a nasty rash in his nappy area for the last few months. He was in disposables for about 6 weeks while we were overseas and there was little improvement in the rash so my guess is that wetness is not the main problem. The rash seems to be eczema like rather than the usual rash and is mostly in the front of the nappy area instead of around the bum. I have just recently managed to get my act together and am trying out cotton fitteds with wool covers exclusively for a while to see if that helps. After 2 days there seems to be some slight improvement. Has anyone else had a LO with a rash like this? What did you do to clear it up? Anyone got any other ideas that may help?

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Nappy rash Q

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:48 am

Sorry, not had any problems like this but just want to say hope it gets better soon and my DH has a friend called Diner in SA!!!!

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:09 pm

what do you use to clean that area with??

soap could leave the skin dry and prone to eczema
disposable wipes have lots of chemicals added - he might be reacting to some of them

Have you tried using just plain water on wotton wool or washable wipes/flannel to clean him.

wool over the nappy is definitely more breathable than pul and dispos so tha t can only help

has a dr checked it incase its thrush?

hope it gets better soon.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:38 pm

Moved to the Nappy Rash Section...

I agree with PP what are you cleaning him with?

If you can get hold of some Shea Butter that should do wonders for his eczema...
Have a read of the sticky thread in this section too there's some fab advice in there :)

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:36 pm

Sounds like Ben's bum - is it a reaction to detergent, we would get this straight away with non biological detergent (and not just nappy area, where clothes rub on skin :? )

As for creams, sometimes I dispair and just give up using anything, but I have to say Bepanthen is the one I recommend for working for us in most situations (it would be the most expensive too). For the excema type skin Aveeno (made by Johnstones) works, it just seems to after a couple of applications in the nappy area take the itchy skin off and leaves fresh lovely skin, without sounding as painful as I have just written it.

I also slap on anti fungal cream on anything suspicious and put the bepanthen ontop. I just don't risk washing nappies at below 60 degrees even though it should be OK.

I also when all else fails try out different nappies, so we have enough different nappies for where or what the rash might be, prefolds can have their uses (I use with g diapers) as do shapes of nappies and what they are made of.

Return to Nappy Rash