hf1

advice please

My avatar
rusmum
Clothie
Clothie

advice please

Postby rusmum » Fri May 08, 2009 7:54 pm

have used reusables since dd was 2 weeks old, she is now 9 months. Over the last 2 months she has been getting blistering nappt rash! (which cleared up on hols when using pampers!)

Should i quit?? Or could this be solvable??

I dry pail. Am using bold 2 in 1, before that used fairy (bio). I always extra rinse. Fleece and paper liners and 2 parters (sandys . and airflow)

Ideas ladies please.

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: advice please

Postby emmalala » Fri May 08, 2009 7:57 pm

:idea: is she teething?
my lo gets nappy rash when hes cutting teeth.
i use bepanthan when hes sore cos it doesnt stain his nappies
would go back to using fairy, hope you get it sorted soon x

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Fri May 08, 2009 8:01 pm

Lots and lots of nappy free time should do wonders. I sympathise - Iris has a fairly nasty rash at the moment, but it's because tooth #8 is on its way through; she's drooling for England, which is just making everything so acidic at the moment. Prebiotics added to her food might help?

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri May 08, 2009 8:08 pm

Nappy rash is solvable, it just takes time and working out the right combination for you.

It depends on what type of rash it is, can you describe it in any more detail ie pin pricks, red blotches, when then might blister.

My things for solving Ben's rash (we have a mild rash right now in 1 sore spot)
Wash nappies at 60 degrees without fail and with bio (sorry I know it is not as eco friendly as 40 but it kills off any nasty fungal type bugs which could be reinfecting)
Boots nappy liners - these can be washed with nappies and last many many washes, but less scratchy and irrating IMO than paper. (We don't use fleece as the creams can clog them up)
WOOL - yeap I know if you have never tried a wool wrap or longies it sounds like hard work, but since we switched to full time wool for day and night as everything is much more breathable than PUL wraps like Motherease the rashes are fewer and further between.

As for creams, everyone has their own fav's for their little one's bums. Personally what works for Ben is bepanthen, then if we have a rash which really doesn't shift, I then treat it as a possible fungal (sounds nasty) so get to the gp and try daktacort - it has to be prescibed for a child, but can be bought over the counter if needed and you don't tell them it is for a lo. Then I put on the daktacort and the bepanthen over the top. Although depending on the rash we also use Vaseline (one of my gp's swears by it for nearly everything and if I am about to go I try it for a few days to stop the skin getting wetter, but horrible for cloth) Aveeno cream can also help in some situations too.

Also another pointer could be is when you were using disposables, what wipes were you using / are you using now. Are you drying after cleaning with water / soap as the skin needs to be as dry as possible before putting on a cloth nappy. Something else to try also contradicting is if you are using nappy cream if the nappy is wet and you can still see cream on the skin don't irrate the skin by wiping / drying / reapplying cream leave the skin alone.

Nappy rash can also come and go and have no rhyme or reason to it - teething can start it up, change in diet or new foods added etc etc.

My avatar
SuSu79
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby SuSu79 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:43 pm

i would use bamboo silk liners or curing wool.. i don't know if u have this in UK..

Here nappies ALWAYS are washed at 60 and sometimes at 90.

also change nappy more often and as other said, more nappy free time.

good luck for getting that nasty rash off :hug:

Return to Nappy Rash