hf1

What is the best way to avoid nappy rash?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

What is the best way to avoid nappy rash?

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:35 pm

I'm aware some babies seem prone to it and some don't but I'm curious really...

I think the gaviscon/carobel really upset Grace's system as before she was started on them she was completely rash free... But then she got really bunged up and did a massive poop and since then she's been quite sore/red - a dry red rash...
It doesn't seem aggravated by type of wipe (i.e. using plain water and cloth wipes is fine, as is the rare time we've used disposable huggies pure wet wipes) and wiping every change or not wiping every change (she only poos every 3days or so) doesn't seem to make a difference either - neither does type of nappy!

I'm beginning to suspect that something I eat flares it up - and it might be chocolate! :shock: :nono: as it comes and goes...

Nappy off time doesn't really seem to make any difference either tho' I give her as much as she'll tolerate most nappy changes...

Isabelle had super sensitive skin so just about anything caused a rash!

So for you what do you think causes nappy rash in your baby?

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: What is the best way to avoid nappy rash?

Postby tanya » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:00 pm

Teething wee and poo.
Stealth pooing too - she's taken to hiding and then we can't always smell it, so it may be there a while, although it rarely happens.

Forgot to say, if the baby is prone to it, I don't think there is much you can do. I think it's more working out what works to get rid of it asap.

My avatar
emmajayne33
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby emmajayne33 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:09 pm

A dirty nappy not being changed straight away. :oops: It only ever happens when we are out and he is in the buggy. It can never be on for too long, as we have lots of :bf: stops when we are out. But it always makes his nappy rash flare up, poor wee soul!

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:17 pm

teething and illness flares up ds rash. and changing washing powder :oops:

My avatar
cherobanne
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby cherobanne » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:00 pm

Matthew always got it when teething and if I ate spicy foods.
Evie doesn't seem prone to it at all, it hasn't even been a little red. Might change when the teeth are cutting through though.

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:32 am

with Boo he was just very very prone...so we had to avoid him eating uncooked apples, plums peaches cherries etc, as they made his poo worse and give him probiotics whenever we could tell he was ill...and of course change him as soon as he poos....but you'd be amazed how quick a rash can appear, even in the time your a bribing them to lie on the mat immediately after they ahve pooed.

drying, or making sure they are well dry can make a difference to some types of rashes
cleaning well with gentle soap, then rinsing with water and air drying is another one
and when he does have a rash we tend to not wipe at every chnage for fear of irritating it more, but clean poos with plenty of lather so its soft iyswim

cream wise....i have a selection!!!! metanium is wonderful for if its really bad, but also very drying (which makes a new rash in itself!!) we used to use metanium alternated with epaderm to solve this..
then i have a couple of israeli creams that are good, one has anti fungal stuff in too, and one is like metanium but less drying....and if none of my remedies are working then its off to the dr and thy would persribe something new.

i hope you find what works

shevi

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:21 am

A range of creams so you can try which one you think might combat the rash first. If a rash appears after a poo, I would try a simple barrier like vaseline on the skin first, just to give it a little extra protection when you are expecting something which gives you a couple of seconds. Day to day we don't use any creams on the whole nappy area, just still spot treating 1 cause for concern with prescribed antifungals.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:10 pm

Ben has an awful bum at the moment - basically comes down to horrid poos up to 10 times a day at the moment :shock: So I have started giving him some probiotic yogurts as someone mentioned perhaps his tummy is not quite right after recovering from his d&v bug. FC it works, I can't remember the last time we had a solid plop off the nappy poo :giggle:

Return to Nappy Rash