hf1

update Ben's nappy rash from the hospital pead dermatolist

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

update Ben's nappy rash from the hospital pead dermatolist

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:00 am

... the gp is now refering Benjamin with his almost constant probably fungal rash to the paed determologist at hospital for their advice as very strong cream Lotriderm isn't shifting it. Well it has, he had 1 spot on his willy which has taken 2 months to shift or is it 3 or 4, for the same type of spot to move to the bottom of his testicles, but there we have 4 nasty craters, sometimes bleeding. We also have an additional barrier - basically runny and hard parafin cream I think it is mixed together to slap on every change.

At least I hope it is going to get sorted. I really don't know if I will be able to hold my nerve against them in hospital if they try to suggest stopping using cloth, we have switched a while ago to disp wipes just incase and boots liners years ago. Never washed at less than 60 in bio :x
Last edited by AnnetteandBen on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: ARGH - you know it's bad when ...

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:19 am

:hug: :hug: :hug: poor wee Ben, hope the referral can come up with some answers for you. Did it make any difference when you used sposies? I don't see cloth being a problem. :hug:

My avatar
oriel
Clothie
Clothie

Postby oriel » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:33 am

AnnetteandBen wrote: Never washed at less than 60 in bio :x

Does bio actually work when it's that hot? I thought that the enzymes began to denature if you went above about 50, and that 40 was the optimum temperature. I've always used non-bio for my 60 washes (though almost everything gets done in bio at 30, nappies at 40).

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:44 am

Sposies I really don't think make a difference, however we did notice that a 10 day break when we were in the US last year did clear up his bum and we didn't use any creams at all, but then it could have happened back here in cloth.

I can't use non bio on his skin as he gets a completely different form of nappy rash - the normal red blotchy normal nappy cream type of rash. Some of the enzymes are probably killed off the hotter it gets, but I have a cold fill only machine, so they are working for some of the time, while it gets to 60 and that apparently is the optimum temp for killing off beasties.

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:55 am

disposable wipes can be quite irritating too. were you just using plain water on your washable ones - with sores that bad dunking him in a sink of plain water at each change too would maybe help remove any other irritants.

hope it heals soon, sounds terribly painful

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:56 pm

Poor thing, hope the dermatolagist has some clue how to help!

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:59 am

how is it now? been wonderi9ng if there was any improvement

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:21 pm

Been to the hospital today, saw a dematologist pead. He was a little puzzled and then called in the head dematologist who the whole clinic was run by for her opinion. (he still has 3 spots in total)

The result is these spots are (probably) caused by where his nappy rubs. However they also took a swab and took blood to test his Zinc levels - apparently prem babies can have low zinc levels in their blood which should have been evident before now but make them more susceptable to 'things' which would figure. We have 2 new creams prescribed to try - epaderm (a 3 in 1 emoliant tub) and a tube of timovate (which we have never tried before but seems to be used for treating yeast type infections according to the leaflet)

We are OK to keep using cloth (don't think I would have swapped anyway :-? ) but need to change him really frequently if wet - so we are looking at 2 hourly, or anytime we think he might be wet.

We already have a follow up appointment booked for the end of September oh and I was so proud of my brave baby, he never even cried having his blood taken!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Re: update Ben's nappy rash from the hospital pead dermatolist

Postby Louise » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:25 pm

Aww what a brave little boy. Hope the new creams and more frequent changing help. :hug:

Next

Return to Nappy Rash