hf1

IDing causes of nappy rash

My avatar
nappychick
Clothie
Clothie

IDing causes of nappy rash

Postby nappychick » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:29 pm

Hi girls - just wanted to share this one with you in case it helps anyone in the future!
We all know nappy rash can happen from time to time but even after four kids and five years working for The Nappy Lady, you can still learn things! Once in the past, I'd advised someone to reduce her bread consumption as she was eating an awful lot of bread and having constant problems with nappy rash on her son so I wondered if the gluten in her diet might be affecting him. She did feel it helped when she changed her diet.
When my youngest had a bout of rash, with mild eczema too, I tried allsorts of things to ID the problem and to treat the rash. It wasn't till the third bout, some months after the second one, that I twigged - if I have active yogurt, Actimel, etc., she gets rash and eczema! If I don't, she doesn't get any other than the odd redness from sneaking poos in when I'm not expceting it or linked to teething or tummy troubles. She's never had any eczema before or since!
So, if you have a child with rashing and are breastfeeding, check your diet and see if there might be something there - my best friend is a nurse and mum to three and is baffled as to why and how active yogurt might do this via my milk, but three times out of three is good enough to convince me!
Jac

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:58 am

Thanks for that - a good tip!

Interesting - wonder why - afterall active yog is supposed to help bf babies!!

I found that drinking active yog drinks really helped her colic but we did tend to get regular rashes... Doesn't bother her now tho' but will remember for "next time" (hehe!)

Steph

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:00 am

Thanks for that Jac, really interesting point! I've been lucky with Louis rash wise and the poor kid puts up with all sorts in his milk lol!!!! great to see you on here btw!

Return to Nappy Rash