hf1

Very red bum

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Very red bum

Postby Rae » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:41 pm

Well as the title says, Kayleigh has a very red bum. She is the poo monster at the moment. Today, we had 5 pooey nappies, and they seem to be rather toxic. She has a little mucus in them as well. She is very upset when we use a wipe or try to put any cream on it. David has tried using baby powder instead, which was OK, but doesn't really help much. Wouldn't be surprised if we are getting another tooth thru. I really don't want to go out and get some disposables, but I'm not sure what to do for the best.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:00 pm

Aloe Vera gel is very cooling and soothing and also has the plus that it doesn't clog fleece liners (or disps if you want to go that route)...

A little nappy off time and change more frequently should help loads,

What do you wipe with? If you use water I'd suggesting using cold camomile tea to help...

Have a look at the sticky on top tips for nappy rash, there's some great stuff suggested in there...

Best thing is probably let it air and get something cooling and soothing on that's non sticky (so not sudocreme)...

Hope that helps a little, I'm not sure disps would help though.

Also have a look here:
*http://www.theremustbeabetterway.co.uk/acatalog/Organic_Nappy_Rash_Salves_and_Creams.html

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:18 am

Well you can all slap me for this but Charlotte had a terrible bum (and I mean really really sore - almost bleeding) last week, I think it has been due to all the antibiotics she has been on. By Friday she was really miserable about it, hadn't been enjoying bathtime even as it hurt so much.
She spent Friday at nursery in disposables and one overnight and by Saturday morning it was a hundred times better. She was back in cloth over the weekend with a little bit of Kamillosan cream and today it looks perfect - so that was only about 5 disposables. Sometimes I find when it gets really bad, it really needs to be kept really really dry and nappy off time was really not an option when she was at nursery or over the weekend as we were sooooo busy this weekend.
As you know I am a huge cloth fan but sometimes I find they have their place.

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:57 am

metanium
bestest cream for redness.
can use with cloth (spread very thin and dispo, or fleece liner than can be washed with washing up liquid if need be (probably wont need tho))

if you do use a sposie, use at night for maximum effect imo. and slap on the cream (cos you can!!)

metanium is very soothing too...and calomine lotion is also worth a try

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:02 am

Erin has suffered with her bum with teething quite a lot. I was using metanium to no avail. A week ago I went into boots and studied all the creams. I ended up buying Drapolene a biggish tub for about £5, it is antiseptic which was one of the reasons I got it as Erin was quite blistered. Anyway it has done more good to her bum in the space of a week then the metanium ever did. I put it on every change and it's worked great so far.

Nappy off time helps a lot and so does changing more often. Try waiting until she's done a poo so you know it's a while til the next one haha :lol:

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:19 am

Well we had Kayleigh in a sposie last night and she out wet it!!!! Now considering that I think she is a light wetter compared to what I have heard from the rest of you, I don't understand how babies in sposies 100% of the time manage. Her bum is not as red as yesterday, and she is at home so I have asked her dad to give her some nappy free time. I also reminded him to remove any of the cream before nappy off time, because he would think what a good job I have done and not realise.

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:08 am

Zach g0t a very red bum when he was teething at ab0ut the same age as Kayleigh. I knew as s00n as he'd d0ne a teething p00 as it had a certain smell and it didn't seem t0 matter if he was changed within sec0nds, it had already d0ne the damage :(

What I did was take the nappy 0ff and clean bum (l0ts 0f tears :cry: ) with warm water and c0tt0n w00l then sit with him in the chair and his bum 0ut t0 dry c0mpletely in the fresh air. I put a little metanium 0n and then the new nappy. We stayed in cl0th and I just used a seperate fleece line in case 0f stains. After a c0uple 0f days with n0 m0re t0xic p00 he was m0re 0r less healed.

0n a plus n0te, he's cut m0re teeth recently and he didn't have t0xic p00 s0 h0pefully Kayleigh w0n't suffer with every t00th.

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:21 am

Just wanted to tell you Erin's bum is now completely clear, this has been the quickest and best clear up since she got nappy rash. So mega top marks to drapolene!!

Return to Nappy Rash