egg white - what do I do with it??!

My avatar
ktinkley
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

egg white - what do I do with it??!

Postby ktinkley » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:13 pm

Other than the obvious area in which to apply! :hohoho:

Do I have to leave it to dry or do I stick a nappy over it? Do I whisk it or anything?

The doctor recommended it this morning - he's clearly running out of options too!

We've had ongoing nappy rash problems since she started teething. Anything that rubs against her skin where urine touches it, leaves a red rash. So virtually any type of nappy - I even tried a bamboo terry last night - held on by a sandy's as I had no pin, it gave a more general rash rather than a line but still made her sore. I've just washed my nappies at 95 and they are currently having a 3rd rinse. I only wash her with water and baby soap, so no wipes ro aynthing like that.

It's hard to be sure - but there doesn't seem to be any issue with different types of fabric - and I have tried quite a few different nappies.

Tried breast milk - it seemed to work for a day, then seemed to stop making any difference. I guess the next thing is manuka honey :x

We gave up on wraps ages ago and she's in wool or fleece full time.

I don't know what else to try - she had 1 1/2 hours nappy free time yest and the day before and tbh it looked worse after than when I just took her nappy off.

Help!!!!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: egg white - what do I do with it??!

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:33 pm

Personally I wouldn't touch egg white on sensitive rash-prone skin with a BARGE POLE!!!

What do you use as liners for your nappies? Fleece or minkee liners should help keep the skin dry and stop the wet cloth rubbing her skin...

Angel baby bottom balm is magic stuff and TBH if the GP suggested egg white it suggests he/she doesn't know what they're talking about and haven't really considered all the options!!

Read the sticky threads too at the top of this bit of the board as there are loads of suggestions in there...

What do you use as wipes?

You don't need to wash a 95 just 60 will kill all the bugs

Doing a strip wash should help if it's buildup causing the problem...

My avatar
baby_bufters
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby baby_bufters » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:38 pm

Have you tried ashton and parsons teething powders?
Not to put on her bum but try and tackle it the other end...

My avatar
ktinkley
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ktinkley » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:45 pm

We have used flannel liners - and the 'stay dry' flushab;e ones and paper ones and there seems to be no difference between any of them. TBH even disposables give her a rash on the leg where the elastic is - and in terms of 'keeping the skin dry' that is something they can do! LOL!

I use flannels for wipes that are washed with the nappies, so shouldn't have any issues there.

My Mum suggested egg white - she was a children's nurse back in the day and that's what they used at the Great Ormond Street when she worked there. We don't have a family history of allergies, so I wouldn't be worried about putting egg white on her. Just amused me, as the doc was clearly slightly embarrassed about suggesting a 'natural' remedy :giggle:

I decided to give the nappies a really good wash and rinse just to make sure - they've been stripped - about 2 weeks ago and always have an extra rinse to try to prevent build up I usualy wash at 40 or 60 - just wanted to cover all bases.

I think I am going to try egg white, but will def have a look for the ashton and parsons powders and another browse thro the stickies. I just can't afford to buy lots of different creams, for £8 or so a throw - with no guarantee that they'll work, but am tempted by the Angel Baby cream after looking at the reviews - will have to have a word with DH!

thank you for the replies :)

My avatar
Joaninha
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Joaninha » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:57 pm

this may sound gross, and please dismiss me if you want, but, along the lines of natural remedies...

my Mum swears by saliva... just spread some on the affected parts, and let air dry ( :giggle: :giggle: sorry, I just got the giggles because it sounds weird even to me, and I have lost count of the times my Mum has recommended that! :giggle: :giggle: )
(and I have done it, when Jaime had the mother of all nappy rashes, and it worked... along with some sun shinning on his tiny little bum...)

Return to Nappy Rash