hf1

Do I have to just accept that my cloth days are over?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:43 pm

Could it be that he's allergic to fleece or developed a fleece allergy? It does sound like this is what it could be and rare though it is I remember a while back on BC cloth board someone discovered their LO was allergic to fleece...
Not sure what the alternatives are really as I can't think of anything that would keep the skin dry like fleece does...

Poor little man though - hope this isn't the end of your nappying days, it does seem a tragedy given all your lovely nappies!!

A few things to make sure you've tried are:
* Washing everything in Ariel biological or Bold at 60 and doing a full length wash with extra rinses after EVERY cycle
* Avoid all microfibre (very sweaty) and stick to bamboo

My avatar
flamesparrow
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby flamesparrow » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:53 pm

Lol, we already have the fleece allergy (big crater spots), thinking about it that could be what causes the problems - he can't stay as dry as he would with fleece, so it may be the wetness causing the problems.

I'll attack them with the Bio :)

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:26 pm

That sounds like it then... Short of changing every hour (!!!) unless you want to try and potty train now sounds like disps might be the best route as I know with Isabelle damp skin = horrible rashes, just one of the reasons we don't get on with paper liners :(

How about something like shea-butter - to be a bit of a barrier?

My avatar
flamesparrow
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby flamesparrow » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:36 pm

I've gone for shea butter tonight :)

I think it is going to be a mix of disposables and just bare bum as much as possible. He likes sitting on the potty playing with himself anyway :roll:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:49 pm

Oh dear :lol: :lol:

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:53 pm

flamesparrow wrote:
I think it is going to be a mix of disposables and just bare bum as much as possible. He likes sitting on the potty playing with himself anyway :roll:

Glad it's not just mine. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My avatar
flamesparrow
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby flamesparrow » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:56 pm

Tis good to have a hobby :lol:

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:22 pm

well, it has been a whole month and Boo is still rash free!! (apart from one stupid incident where babysitter changed his sposie, wiped him with toddler toilet wet wipe and shoved on a new nappy no drying etc and he was red for 36 hours....) anyway, let me try to list anything that may have made a difference that you are not already doing

1. probiotic powder (i add it to Boo's formula but you can sprinkle it on cereal or anything) it means that he doesn't get a scary rash on immediate contact with any poo.
2. 1 bold tablet in wash - Bio powder and More than you were using (i went from half a tab to a tab) and have to counterbalance with an extra rinse (obviously keep washing on 60 till has been gone a long time!)
3 Tumble dry for a bit to make them softer (was barely tumbl;ing, am now tumbling for 40-60 mins before hanging so everything is nice nd soft
4. i use Huge fleece liners that cover the whole nappy and go round the legs and everything....wont work if he reacts to fleece tho
and 5.
we have been forced to revert back to a sposie at night :cry: i can keep the rash at bay, but one night in cloth and it seems to be starting to return....i should really try again, as it really has been a while, but i'm just not brave enough.

also, some creams that just might help
Bouderauxs Butt Paste- seemed to make a difference when the rash was bad...didn't make it go...just less bad
waitrose bottom butter- only to protect, wont help an already exsisting rash. but will stop one coming, or make mild redness disappear.

we have also limited our use of pockets and pul (esp BG's) and i mostly use fitteds with a sugar peas wrap.

oh and use a water with a mild soap ( i like angel baby mama earth diaper rash soap) in to wash bottom, then plain water, then dry...and (sorry it sounds horrible, but someone told me how protective urine itself can be) if there is no rash at all there, every secoond wee, i dont wash or wipe at all. just make sure he is dry before putting on the new nappy.

i really hopoe that somewhere in this there is something new for you to try, and i hope you find something that works....if not, then sposies it'll have to be...

oh and microfibre is the devil!

shevi
ps. did you get my email!?

My avatar
flamesparrow
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby flamesparrow » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:55 pm

Oooh tahnk you! Will work my way through the list!

I replied to an email this afternoon... had nothign since then unless it is in spam - will go check

PreviousNext

Return to Nappy Rash