hf1

what has your gp prescribed for nappy rash?

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

what has your gp prescribed for nappy rash?

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:48 pm

I know I am constantly on about Ben's bum :shock: .

Gp prescribed cream (Daktarin) I think it was but I don't think its done much. So if your gp has ever prescribed cream please could you tell me what it was for and did it work! At the moment I would love to try a cream which you can use more than twice a day as I don't think its getting enough contact with the skin, unless I am not using enough? And I am not sure the dr knows what he is treating.

If you need the rundown of what I am doing ...

Tried the disps from 8pm last night to 2ish pm today and if anything the reddness not around original problem was worse. (didn't like the fact he had no bum and found it harder to hold him!)

He had an hour of very loose nappy time (thanks for that tip Em!) It was a kite fold bamboo sq, no liner no cover, so loose on that when he moved it fell off, but luckily hardly any crying and even fell asleep.

Had clean cloth nappy on, straight away did a poo on the fleece liner, so changed liner instantly and put on longies. Had bottle, another change, another poo. On that change it looked like more little pin prick type spots were near his actual poo hole (brand new spots). These little spots look a little like the start of chicken pox (the only way I can describe them) so thinking it could be thrush by other people's description. and therefore don't know if the cream I already have as its not caneston would treat it. I am now going to use the Drapolene cream at other nappy changes. - the area is not damp and gets dried. Only using water, but perhaps I should use soap incase its not cleaning properly. Bathing either in plain water or baby bath doesn't seem to make a difference.

My own gp is away on hols, but have appointment for the pair of us on wed.

What does a fleece alergy look like (no it can't be that as the spots are in the area which doesn't come into contact with the liner or nappy)

I feel so guilty at not being able to sort this out as I have never seen anything really like this even when childminded children have had nappy rash and that's a lot of children in nappies I have seen!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:53 pm

We have only ever had one prescription from the doc - Diprobase, but that is for an excema type rash she gets at the top of her bottom as opposed to nappy rash (although I think it is made worse because it is under her nappy iyswim).

Otherwise we just use highstreet creams. Most of which I think you have tried.

Don't really know what to suggest :(

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:40 pm

y doc prscribd 2 crems....tying my hardest to remebtheir names...one is a standard thrush cream, and the other is a thick emolient one used for psoriasis. i was told to use the thrush one 2-3 times a day, preferably before nappy off time and the thick emmolient one to protect at the other changes.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:58 pm

Just to add a note here,

I found that just using water did give Isabelle rashes but soap and especially baby bath are very harsh on babies skin (amazing the number of people allergic to johnsons!) So you might want to consider using a different solution, add some chamomile tea to your water and some grape-seed oil or something...

Olive/grapeseed oils are good for cleaning a sore tiny bum too...

We've been prescribed a variety in the past - Daktarin is an anti fungal like canasten...
We've had canasten too and another I can't remember the name of beginning with N - all worked I'm afraid...

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:37 pm

Will get some tea bags tomorrow and make a wipe solution with that. Should I add olive oil to the wipe solution or the bath water or both? (he was bathed in plain water tonight and I am now washing his bath towels in napisan so his bottom is not reinfected as it were)

I'm also hoping that perhaps wearing his lovely longies all day tomorrow when not having nappy off time might help as they are more breathable than the PUL wraps.

My avatar
caeganol
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby caeganol » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:25 am

At the moment I would love to try a cream which you can use more than twice a day as I don't think its getting enough contact with the skin, unless I am not using enough? And I am not sure the dr knows what he is treating.

BEPANTHEN
BEPANTHEN
BEPANTHEN
BEPANTHEN

IT WORKED IT WORKED.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED BY LOTS OF MUMS. STILL NOT SURE IF I CAN USE THIS WITH CLOTH NAPPIES, WILL TRY THIS WEEK.
BUT ITS REALLY GREAT.
HTH
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ericaj1 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:50 am

Jack has been okay nappy rash wise tg, only ever had it mild but he did have a really raw, red patch in his neck creases and fucidin got rid of it. It's an antibiotic cream as opposed to antifungal but must be worth a try. Pester the GP again, poor Ben's little botty should have improved by now if the AF cream was the correct treatment.

My avatar
caeganol
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby caeganol » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:00 am

ITS AVAILABLE otc, BOUGHT IT YESTERDAY FROM SAINSBURY'S.
WORTH A TRY. RASH DISAPPEARS AFTER ONE APPLICATION.

I do remember seeing ben's photoand I think recommended antifungal or antibiotis. Dakatrin contains steroid, I don't think that will work. Speak tosomeone who deals with babies. Best to speak to a GP who has had babies recently.
metanium is really good too.
Hope it gets better.
xxx
sukhi

bepanthen.co.uk/

My avatar
caeganol
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby caeganol » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:14 pm

Found this article really interesting.
xx