hf1

what has your gp prescribed for nappy rash?

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:24 pm

cool hairdryer is a great idea, and one i would never have thought of. i blow on Boo's creases to make sure they are completely dry...and have always been advised to use a cool hairdryer to make sure my C-section (or other) stitches were completly dry after the shower.

also i find a good Dab of metanium can make the world of difference...i know it is better to have a thin layer, but on a really bad rash a thick dab id less irritating for the sprog, and can really protect as well as treat.

annette, if you want to call me to discuss the rash, i would be more than happy to hear from you, i currently see myself as a bit of an expert as the rash has gone!!! obviously different things work for different sprogs and different rashes, but i think i did try most things...
feel free to pm me and i';lll give you my number (and we can organbise our january meeting!)

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:45 pm

Thank you for all your help (shevi will pm you at some point especially to arrange meeting :lol: )

Today poor Ben's bum has only got worse and I feel like such a bad bad mummy as I have made it worse - I liberally applied the metatanium at 2 changes today and have just changed his nappy and he turned blue he was screaming so much and the cream (although I know it could be a coincendience) looks like it has eaten into his skin and is causing another big sore place like the one he already has.

I have looked at that link (great link THANKYOU suhki) and am going to get the tea bags (just haven't had a chance today so far) and add some honey to use to clean. Will consider adding tea tree to it on Monday if needed as the link recommeneded.

So right now I am drying my eyes from being a bad person and Robert told me to stop switching creams and just stick with 1 thing, so I was considering just vaseline, but after reading am not going to put anything but the prescribed cream and the rest of the time nothing.

Was already thinking about heading to baby clinic this mon pm to get Ben weighed for the first time and see what baby clinic is and if there is a HV there ask what she suggests before seeing gp on Wed. One of things I am pleased about is at least his diet is constant with formula so I know its nothing to do with what I have or have not been eating - never thought I would be able to find a positive about not bf, but I have!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:10 pm

Just talking aloud mainly but I think I have a break through at last :lol: :lol:

Taken from BC website ... If the basic nappy rash isn't treated, it can grow into something worse - for example, a fungal infection, such as yeast, or a bacterial infection. Yeast infections are more common in babies taking antibiotics (these drugs kill the "good" bacteria that normally keep yeast in check) and typically begin as tiny red spots which multiply and mass into a solid red blotch.

Well by the sounds of it, it is the yeast infection and I KNOW THE CAUSE as talking back to Robert, Ben came home from hospital with his patch on bum (aged 9 days) and for the first 7 or 8 days of his life Ben was on IV antibiotics twice a day (first for side effects of being born so long after my waters broke and GBS, then because they were waiting for the cultures to grow to see if he had any virus from the sample taken from his spine like mengintis.

So now to work out why the Daktarin isn't working :?

My avatar
sjb2711
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sjb2711 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:22 pm

My little man (7 months old now) was prescribed both Diprobase and Efcortelan for his skin in general but also for some really sore patches that he occasionally gets on his bottom. I would also highly recommend Weleda Calendula Nappy Change Cream. It's available from many health food type shops. It works wonders for general redness/soreness - before any infection sets in - I've found one or maybe two applications normally works.

Good luck and hope you're little ones bottom is better soon.

Sarah

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ericaj1 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:01 pm

(((Annette))) you are not a bad mummy at all hun. Manuka honey has excellent healing properties and you can get liners with silver strips in fron Twinkle on the Web (I think).

Hope your HV can give you some more advice on Monday.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:15 pm

Will see how we get on with the camomile - I put a mug full of tea in his bathwater tonight and got Robert to hold him while I really cleaned his bum in the water. Got wipe mix with cam tea and honey mixed as well.

Now my memory is starting to come back of hard hospital days and I do remember he had the same problem while in the incubator and I just put it down to a heat rash and thought it would get better when wearing nappies, so to be honest he has probably had no more than the first 4 or 5 days of his life without the little spotty sore bum which could be thrush.

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:14 am

i've just had another idea...Karly on BC's little Natalia had a reaction to most nappy rash creams and it seemed like they were eating thru her skin....so perhaps avoid anything with zinc )sudocrem and many others), lavender (sudocrem again) and titanium (metanium)
and try to stick to loose nappys and no wraps with something very babrely there like vasaline to protext?

My avatar
clothpenguin
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby clothpenguin » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:37 am

Daktarin is an antifungal and therefore should work on fungal infections but its not intended for use on broken skin to my knowledge (might not be effective as opposed to problematic). I would have thought the difficulty is the skin has broken down and there might also be an element of bacterial infection alongside the fungal. I would have though anti fungal+antibiotic cream might be the best combo. I didn't comment before as I think all you parents were much better placed than I am as have experience. I think you are a super mummy for thinking all this through so carefully by the way. I really don't mind talking about Ben's bottom for as long as you like!

My instinct based on what I would do as a nurse (but knowing sod all about nappy rash) is exactly as Shevi said, avoid creams containing zinc as it will dry the skin and irritate broken areas, metanium on broken skin cannot be an effective barrier. Its good for drying areas out which are at risk of breaking down but for a wound to heal it need to be a little moist, unfortunately not the kind of moist you find in a nappy! Hence nappy off time (dryish but not nappy moist and not dried out) and antibiotic cream for the actual crater itself due to its persistence and appearance. You could use barrier cream around the area of broken skin, even just vaseline or shea butter equivalent to help prevent further inflammation or metanium if you think its at risk of further breakdown. Manuka honey certainly has an excellent reputation but I would argue is probably best avoided in the instance of fungal infection, its a snack box for the bugs! Read the ingredients of all over the counter creams like a fiend as many mentioned here have similar ingredients including zinc oxide, titanium (Earth friendly baby red clover cream and metanium are basically the same thing as far as I can see for example, except one also has organic calendular in it).

I would go back to your GP if you are finding the daktarin is not working on its own after a week, as from your previous picture it looks like its a wound that wants to heal (pink at the edges) but something is stopping it which is why its persisting. Is there anyone in your practice with dermatological experience? I would guess your GP reached straight for the antifungal because of Ben's previous antibiotic treatment (why did he not just explain his rationale :roll: ) but you might need something else alongside it

My avatar
clothpenguin
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby clothpenguin » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:48 am

forgot to say that if it is the case that he needs antibiotic cream, with the best will in the world, if his bottom has a broken area, its next to impossible to stop it getting infected. You are not a bad Mummy its just skin is temperamental especially on tiny nappy incased bots!

PreviousNext

Return to Nappy Rash