hf1

Terrible rash when using cloth after disposables for a week

My avatar
drainpipe
Clothie
Clothie

Terrible rash when using cloth after disposables for a week

Postby drainpipe » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:44 pm

Anna had some horrendous poos which meant I had my hands in the loo scraping every nappy so for a week we put her in disposables.
Poos back to normal so she's been back in cloth for a week now but she has a terrible nappy rash with bits where the top layer of skin is missing and it's just red raw.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Is there anything I can do about it?
I've been using metanium / kamillosan but I'm wary of what these will do to my nappies.

Thanks,

Helen

(Sorry I put this in the wrong place to start - thanks to the mod for moving. I'm still finding my way around!)
Last edited by drainpipe on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Terrible rash when using cloth after disposables for a week

Postby happytails » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:57 pm

Im not sure what to recommend? We have not used sposies since DD was 2 weeks old. Have you tried using silk liners they are supposed to help nappy rash and as much nappy off time as possible. Erm is she teething?

Did the rash only occur after she was put back in cloth? Amber gets a rash when i dont notice if she has pooed for a little while :oops: sometimes i cant tell until i break the seal :hohoho: and then i know about it!! Anyway i find Northern Essence diaper salve great for rashes and good with my nappies too.

Are you using fleece/minkee liners or inners to keep her bum dry?

Sorry i cant be of more help :-?

My avatar
drainpipe
Clothie
Clothie

Postby drainpipe » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:12 pm

We use fleece liners in 2-parters, and AI2s / pockets are fleece-lined too. However, for nursery they also have a TotsBots paper liner in too as they find it easier.

She's not teething right now (I think that was the cause of the initial problem) but yes, the rash is since she's gone back in cloth.

You could be right about the whole "breaking the seal" thing. My nose is pretty finely tuned but when she was in disposables she absolutely stank once she'd pooed so it was obvious she needed changing, but maybe nursery aren't paying quite so much attention. They generally change at 10am, 2pm and 4pm unless they notice she's pooed. That's when she was changed today and it said that 10am and 4pm changes were soiled, so maybe they're not picking it up early enough?

I'll keep an eye and have a word with them if it doesn't improve.

I can't really afford silk liners, sadly, and as nursery sometimes accidentally through away the fleece liners, I can't risk that!

I'll look into the cream that you suggested.

My avatar
samandsally
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby samandsally » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:38 pm

Hi, Hope the rash is improving. I would second the fact that i cannot smell when my wee one has done a poo, so that could be a factor. I wonder about the paper liners at nursery? I used them years ago on my wee girl and she had lots of rashes, i use fleece on my wee boy and he hardly ever has any redness, even when teething. Maybe just down to different children though! On the few occasions he has had some redness starting i find soaking his wipes in a strong solution of chamomile tea clears it up quickly and i can go back to just using water after a couple of days.
good luck, it is horrible to see them with sore bottoms.

My avatar
drainpipe
Clothie
Clothie

Postby drainpipe » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:16 pm

It's getting better thanks!
She's only at nursery 1 day this week (normally 3) so hopefully as I'll be in charge I can keep a nose out for poo as soon as it is done and it should be nice and cleared up by the end of the week :)
Thanks for the suggestions.
I wonder about the paper liners too, but if I don't use them then the nappy bag is not pleasant at the end of the day as nursery just roll it all up inside as Anna's poo isn't stretch-and-flickable.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:18 pm

The boots disposable liners are softer than paper imo so might be worth considering.

Hope the rash clears soon :hug:

My avatar
drainpipe
Clothie
Clothie

Postby drainpipe » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:58 pm

We use the tots bots ones that are soft as soft can be.

Return to Nappy Rash