hf1

Help! Any ideas what's causing this rash?

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Help! Any ideas what's causing this rash?

Postby rachelinscotland » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:42 pm

I don't think Clement's skin likes either fleece OR minkee liners. They make him go red. But so far he's OK with suedecloth, so we love GK pockets! :D We were using paper liners back when he was in fitteds. But the rash occured without any liner - just the soft bamboo velour inner of the Bedbug.

But I think it definantly makes him sore, as he's been quite fussy today. :cry: And he was also quite fussy previously when he had nasty sore rash. And he was soooo much happier when his skin was clear! So I hope he's better again soon!

He's had a nice bath in Aveeno bath oil tonight (as per usual for his eczema), and then had Goldbond powder and a natural soothing cream from California Baby (powder & cream sent to me by my sister in USA! :D ) on the rash, and sposie (of course!) so we'll see what happens!

I think I'll try a GK pocket with wool on top overnight once his skin is clear again & see how that works!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:31 pm

That looks like what we used to get with Isabelle (still do sometimes)...

Extra ammonia-y nappies always seemed to do it - so boosting heavily helped as did using a mahooooooosive fleece liner...
Wool over the top is more breathable but it seems to concentrate the wee :?

What worked for us was making sure to do a cold rinse cycle before I hot washed the nappies at 60 and an extra rinse after with a slug of vinegar in the rinse...
I use a full dose of detergent (90mls of ariel bio) and the extra rinse ensures there's no build-up... But that's just what works for our water area... I found using 1/2 a dose wasn't getting them AS clean although there wasn't any buildup...

Also slapping on angel baby bottom balm and plenty of nappy off time (if possible) too...

It's worse for us we if don't use a liner as there's nothing keeping the wee'd on nappy from her skin - so if you're going to do without liners then boost VERY heavily so as to wick the moisture away as quick as possible...

Oh and avoid microfibre (bedbugs contain microfibre unfortunatley) at all costs too as that seems to aggravate it...

If the wee is orange it could be he's a little dehydrated at night... Or a water infection possibly... (not THAT likely but something to consider)

If you need to try disps - have a go at the nature care eco-ish ones...

For Isabelle we have to alternate at night so when we use disps we use huggies dry-nites pj pants (for 4-7yr olds) and they occasionally leak but work better than regular disps :roll:

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:55 pm

Ethan has had this exact same rash - you could see the outlined of where the nappy had been against him front and back - and for us it was the washing powder.

Sarah

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:31 am

Thanks very much for the detailed & helpful reply, Steph! :hug:

We've used Bedbugs without any liner (just the bamboo velour inner) for a long time now without any problems - they're the only night nappies Clement has ever used. But I think my problems have increased since I stopped using detergent & went over to soap flakes. I just wish I knew how I could know if a nappy was getting a build up problem before it becoming evident from nasty rash! :-? I gave the offending Bedbug a pre-rinse with vinegar, and then a 60 degree wash all by itself with Surcare on Saturday and it certainly smells nice and clean - but i was unaware of a problem before Clement wore it last week! I guess I could test one on him during the day for a short time, but if the problem is going to keep happening, it would be difficult to know how often they needed a wash with real detergent!

So maybe Bedbugs (with their microfibre core!) just don't mix with going detergent free & using soap flakes! But I have a lovely stash of them & it seems a pity if they'll no longer work for us. Maybe I can find something else absorbent enough for night, Non-fleece lined, and which washes more easily! Guess I'm probably asking for too much! :giggle:

OR maybe I'll get a piece of suedecloth fabric from Pocket Bots and make a really big liner to put on top the nappy, since at least the suedecloth in BG and GKs seems to not make him go red.

But I certainly always give them a cold rinse before washing, as well as always an extra rinse in the end. But it's possible that nappy was washed back when I was freqently overfilling the machine! :giggle:

Anyway, plenty for me to think about & try to sort out! I just want to make sure I don't risk his precious skin just to test a nappy! :evil:

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:40 am

:roll: sounds like a nightmare :( poor little man.
charlie's like that atm too, although i think (and hope) its just strong wee (from teething) which is causing it. it isnt as extensive, but its around her thighs where the nappy touches. it does seem to calm down when we use fitteds rather than pockets though :-? then again, we've also changed washing powder recently too :-?
god, its so difficult to know what to do isnt it ....

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:54 am

what cream are you using hun? I use metanium its really good and you put in on in a really thin layer so it forms a barrier too its cleared uop all our rashes and they were much redder and rawer than the one in the pic. Some people say it stains clothes but i have only ever had my clothes stained not hers :roll: ( a black skirt)

My avatar
purplehearts
Clothie
Clothie

Postby purplehearts » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:42 pm

Heya hun
No idea about the rash unfortunately, but my son is the same - he soaks right through disposables at night to the point the bed is soaking wet (and we bedshare....so not good! Lol). He also gets on well with suedecloth and can get similar looking rashes (but not as bad) from fitted nappies.
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here, but seeing as they work for you during the day, just wondering if you've given the Greenkids a try at night? I was sceptical about it working as my son is such a heavy wetter, but with sufficient boosting (I use a GK bamboo insert, two hemp boosters and a microfibre insert on top) it worked brilliantly and Ciaran was dry in the morning. You could put some woolies over the top for extra 'insurance'.
Or as the sposies don't seem to irritate his skin in the same way, I know this might sound odd but to stop the leaks, maybe you could try a sposie under a PUL/wooly wrap with an insert/booster in between the nappy and the wrap?
Oh and I just wanted to say, to clear up nappy rash nothing beats Metanium - it's great stuff. My son had horrendous nappy rash (I think it was caused by antibiotics he was given in hospital) - it was all blistery and looked really sore - sudocream and traditional nappy rash creams wouldn't touch it, and fresh air wasn't enough either although it did help. The doctors prescribed us some metanium, and we used it mixed with some vaseline (it has a clay like texture so vaseline makes it much easier to apply) and it cleared it up almost instantly)
Good luck with getting this sorted hun, and don't worry about mixing it up, or using sposies if you need to, it's no big deal - do what works for you and your little un xx

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:52 pm

Thanks for your reply! That's really unusual that your little boy is the same and does well with suedecloth! Does he tolerate fleece at all? Cause Clement just gets red and rashy from fleece! :roll:

I had tried a Wonderoos (and I think a GK as well) at night but got some wicking from the top/front of the pocket (moisture transfering to his vest). But last week I had the bright idea to try a Bumgenius v3 overnight, stuffed with a Wonderfuls hemp insert (2 parts) and half of a bamboo terry square (I cut them in half for inserts and then fold them to size). Anyway, we've done this several times now and NO leaks at all! :wine: He did get a bit red on the tip of his penis the first time I tried him overnight like this (nothing too bad, but it looked a bit sore) so I've been putting silver liners on him at night inside the BG and no problems at all. I think the major good point with the BG v3s is the extra 1-1.5 inches of PUL inside the pocket, so it keeps from any damp wicking out fron the top! Seems brilliant! But he's a bit chunky, so can't tell how long he'll fit into these, as they're a bit snug on the legs (adjusted for largest setting to), and he's only 8 months!

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:39 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:
Oh and avoid microfibre (bedbugs contain microfibre unfortunatley) at all costs too as that seems to aggravate it...

:shock: Ive found charlies dreamscape really aggravates any rash she has already, or creates one overnight :-? she only gets it at the sides at the front, where it must rub on her legs. cant say im pleased about it :-?

PreviousNext

Return to Nappy Rash