a few dumb q's...

My avatar
Rutella
Clothie
Clothie

a few dumb q's...

Postby Rutella » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 am

Hi,
my LO is just over 2 weeks old and has been in cloth during the day and sposies at night for the past 10 days or so. He's just started getting a sore patch in his bum.
dumb q #1... he doesn't seem to notice that he is in a dirty nappy (and he has a lot of them :roll: ) so I worry that I am not changing him quick enough :oops: . I change at every feed and whenever I can tell but as at the mo I am trying to sleep when he is napping I often have no idea until a bit later. Does anyone else have to keep checking their bubs all the time?
dumb q #2: I am using the weleda calenda cream when he is in sposies, should I use a fleece/paper liner when in cloth to avoid it clogging the nappies?
dumb q #3: Can I use a separate fleece liner with fleece lined nappies (I mostly use bumgenius and bimbles)
dumb q #4: I think I read somewhere that camomile tea is good to use with washable wipes, but i am too sleep deprived to find where i read this!

errrm, I think that's it. Any tips?

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: a few dumb q's...

Postby fluffycabbage » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:40 am

my son always knew he was in a dirty nappy, but my daughter doesnt. dont worry about it. if it isnt bothering them then its not an emergency :wink: it can leave red marks on their skin though, if left for a while.

definitely line the nappies if you're using creams of any sort. yes you can use fleece liners with fleece lined napppies. i do.

camomile tea - just make a cup or jug of it, pour it into whatever you keep your wipes in, squeeze it through the wipes and hey presto. a lot of people start adding baby bath and oils, but i think its unnecessary for a newborn.

hth x

My avatar
clairelou88
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clairelou88 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:44 am

alister never cares about having a dirty nappy and i hardly ever notice, but also leaves redness around his little bot if left too long, and yeah i usually try if i remember to line my nappies with fleece or minki liners. :D

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:51 am

You shouldn't use soaps and oils on a newborn. Especially not baby oil as it's petroleum based. If you need to use any oils for dry patches, use sunflower or olive oil, that's what were were always told to use in baby massage and soaps were just unnecessary or used very sparingly.

With the dirty nappies just change quite often. It's more that you don't want to leave LO in a dirty nappy too long or for the poo and pee to mix and cause a rash. They have such frequent bowel movements it's difficult as you are constantly changing then those first few months so it's quite normal.

Metanium and bepanthem are great creams too, metanium especially, but you use the tinniest bit.

Congratulations on your new baby! :wine: :D Hope you manage to nap as much as possible. It's hard work in the beginning, but will get better once LO starts to know night from day and their tummy gets a bit bigger so everything gets less frequent!

My avatar
Rutella
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Rutella » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:26 pm

Thanks for the advice - it has cleared up now :wine:
I'm using the camomile tea with his wipes and just trying to be viligant about checking his nappies!

beffys wrote:You shouldn't use soaps and oils on a newborn. Especially not baby oil as it's petroleum based. If you need to use any oils for dry patches, use sunflower or olive oil, that's what were were always told to use in baby massage and soaps were just unnecessary or used very sparingly.

o/t I haven't used any soaps or anything on him but reading this post reminded me that I wanted to try giving him a mini massage so I might try that tonight. When I told DH tho about using sunflower/olive oil he said it sounded like we were basting him ready for roasting in the oven :giggle: poor bubs :babyrolleyes:

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:04 pm

:giggle: to basting the little man! we have organic sunflower oil for massaging taliesin, wonderful! even if the first time we used it he relived himself of a week of wind!lol :oops: was also amazed by how well he sleep after a massage (or a basting!)

My avatar
mamarozi
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby mamarozi » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:06 pm

I just wanted to add, that my daughter is 4 months old, and I still use just water or occasionally chamomille tea for nappy changes. for times, when her is a bit more sticky I add a spritz or two of almond oil to the wipe. I also use Weleda nappy cream, for when she's in disposables and I think it's a great cream. And always make sure, that you dry the skin well, before putting on the nappy.
And do check his nappy often. I sometimes just take a peak in by the leg cuffs, or when she was still BF, I sometimes just sticked my finger in the nappy-if it was clean, great, if not, I was heading for the bathroom anyway :wink:
Sleep deprived...I can relate to that one...my girl was horrible the first month, she barely slept and cried her lungs out for no apparent reason. Nothing helped. She enjoyed massage, but it never seemed to make her more peaceful, relaxed, better sleeper. Looking back now, I think she was dunno...recovering from a very traumatic birth (it was a very traumatic one for me), bored, clueless, confused, frustrated...She's totally different now as she started to communicate, grabbing things, having interest in the world around her...

Return to Nappy Rash