hf1

New To Cloth and My Wee One Has a rash

My avatar
DIANEIO
Clothie
Clothie

New To Cloth and My Wee One Has a rash

Postby DIANEIO » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:38 pm

I have only been using real nappies for three weeks - I only have Bumgenius Organic AIO and Itti AIO and 2 Coolababy's. My 4 month old has developed a rash. When she wakes in the morning after wearing a disposable all night her cheeks are clear then after her first cloth nappy change (around an hour or two) she is red with has a rash (not a poo change).

My boyfriend will go mad if he finds out that all that cost in cloth nappies is giving her a rash when disposables never did. I've read everything about washing them, I only use Persil or Fairy non Bio, and I think my washing machine is washing and rinsing them well. What to do?

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: New To Cloth and My Wee One Has a rash

Postby northernruth » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:42 pm

Are you washing them at 60? Can't think of anything else to suggest.....are you using fleece liners?

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:24 pm

Non Bio gave Archie terrible rashes, Ariel Bio is best for us. Also second using fleece liners. Also are you drying your LO's bum well after wiping?

My avatar
DIANEIO
Clothie
Clothie

Postby DIANEIO » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:32 pm

I was the nappies at 40 after doing a prewash and only using a tablespoon of powder. Using baby wet wipes, maybe just use cotton ball and water and see if that changes anything. Would she have a reaction to the washing powder even if her cloths are washed in the same powder?

I was concerned that maybe it was the interior fleece that was causing the rash.

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:49 pm

If it's a rash such as thrush then it's definitely worth washing at 60 to make sure everything has been killed off.

I wouldn't think it would make as much difference washing clothes in non bio, as nappies have close contact with delicate areas and get wet therefore causing more of an irritant iyswim. Not 100% sure about that though, only in my experience.

Return to Nappy Rash