My avatar
mishka2828
Clothie
Clothie

HELP-SORE WILLY!!

Postby mishka2828 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:19 am

Hi
REALLY hope someone can help.
My DS is 16m.o and been happily in cloth for ages now BUT he keeps having recurrent bouts of balanitis, which is basically an inflamed foreskin (ouchy!). Have been to the doctors and he has had some cream and a course of oral antibiotics, which have helped but it has never 100% cleared up. The one time it really seemed to improve was when I made him some new fleece liners. Now it is really bad and bleeding, and I am thinking of resorting to sposies if that helps setttle it down. I am concerned that the nappies are somehow perpetuating any infection. I have been washing them at 60C to try and help, but not sure what I can do to effectively 'disinfect' them? Should I do a strip wash? Will they survive a 90C wash? Currently have a mix of BGs, and a couple of pop-ins. Use homemade fleece liners. Should I try disposable liners for a while?
Any thoughts? I am loathe to use sopsies but hate to think that my ethical stance might be negatively impacting on DS' health?

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: HELP-SORE WILLY!!

Postby ramsons » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:05 pm

I don't know if what I'm suggesting is a bad thing. But ds had this recently and he picked the scab off the first time so it took a while to heal. I dusted his willy down with atheletes foot powder (its antifungal and antibacterial) and brushed it off every nappy change. Its cleared up. We were having difficulty because it would clear up with nappy off time, but he'd sit there picking it and playing with it which made it more inflamed.
I also changed his nappy every time he weed. I have just strip washed my nappies with washing soda but tbh I don't think we had build up. I use vingar in a pre rinse all the time anyway.

My avatar
mishka2828
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mishka2828 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:02 pm

Thanks for the reply! Took him to the doctors this morning, and am FUMING! Dr didn't even look at him, just said that as it seemed to be ongoing and not clearing then he will refer DS and he will need circumscising... :shock:
He has given us some different cream ,so will see if that helps. Also going to try having nappy off as much as poss. Doesn't seem to bother DS and he never really picks/pulls at it.
I'm so cross with the Dr and upset at the thought of my darling little boy having to have an anaesthetic and an op... :(

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:09 pm

what do you wash the nappies in? I had problems with DD having recurring really sore inflamation all over her wee bits until I started using tea tree oil in with powder every nappy wash followed by a second wash cycle without anything and the problem has completely gone :D

My avatar
mishka2828
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mishka2828 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:18 pm

Sometimes ecover liquid, and sometimes bold 2in1. Been washing at 60C in case they are harbouring any bugs. Think it mught actually be more of a contact/abrasion thing though as the end of his willy looks quite squashed and flat now (sorry, TMI!!)

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:19 pm

mishka2828 wrote:Thanks for the reply! Took him to the doctors this morning, and am FUMING! Dr didn't even look at him, just said that as it seemed to be ongoing and not clearing then he will refer DS and he will need circumscising... :shock:
He has given us some different cream ,so will see if that helps. Also going to try having nappy off as much as poss. Doesn't seem to bother DS and he never really picks/pulls at it.
I'm so cross with the Dr and upset at the thought of my darling little boy having to have an anaesthetic and an op... :(

:hug: :hug: Sounds a bit drastic. Give a choice between the chop and sposies for a few days maybe that would be the lesser evil :|
Ds kept telling me his willy was hurting, telling me 'dirt' was stuck to it, and then presenting me with the scabs and a bleeding willie again. I changed ds alot, I mean literally every tiny wee, powdered him every time and did as much nappy off as I could, but if he was picking it I had to put him in a nappy hence the antibacterial/antifungal powder.
Also I didn't use pul at home either no nappy cover or wool or fleece. I used pockets only for playgroup.

Hope he gets better soon :hug:

My avatar
mishka2828
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mishka2828 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:19 pm

How much tea tree did you put in? Do you put it in the conditioner bit of the drawer? I have intermitt tried this, and also adding a coupld of drops to his bath water-perhaps I need to be more persistant?

My avatar
mishka2828
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mishka2828 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:21 pm

Ramsons: Thanks so much for the hugs-am def going to be letting him run around without a nappy, and will try the athletes foot tip if the latest cream doesn't work. Thanks for the support

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:27 pm

I use 3 or 4 drops in with the powder for every wash, it helps to wash out any nasty bugs that are in there because of its antibacterial nature, we also use a tea tree wipe solution for dirty nappies too and dry with a muslin every change, that really helped a lot.
:hug: :hug: hope he gets better soon, before the chop :-? :-?

Next

Return to Nappy Rash