hf1

Northern Essence

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:29 pm

It's a very very strong Alkali - don't get it on your skin type thing!!

You do need an alkali to make soap but you don't need an alkali to make detergent as you get soapless detergent all the time...

Wikipedia wrote:As every strong base/alkali, potassium hydroxide is strongly corrosive, both towards inorganic as well as organic materials, including living tissues; care must be therefore taken, when handling the substance and its solutions. Its corrosivity is sometimes used in cleaning and disinfection of resistant surfaces and materials.

DH was shocked to say the least... It's used for cleaning drains!! :shock:

It is however also used to saponify oils for liquid soap... It's just odd that they'd use such a harsh chemical for something to go on a baby's bottom and for sensitive skin...

Sorry if that seems a bit scaremongouring...

Afterall sodium lauryl sulphate is used for cleaning aeroplanes but is also found in most brands of shampoo and showergel... :roll:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:33 pm

Altho' I just read this from Snopes on Sodium Lauryl sulphate...
*http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/shampoo.asp

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:34 pm

ick

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:39 pm

Done a bit more looking after DH scared me saying it was used to clean drains with...

It's also used in food manufacturing and actually in foods so it can't be that blooming bad!!

My avatar
sueeltringham
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sueeltringham » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:52 pm

It's probably used to balance the pH, I would think, so only a very very tiny amount.

Why oh why do they use nut oils in solutions/washes /balms for babies skin?
Everything I look at has got either almond oil, shea butter or something similar in. I wouldn't DARE put anything on Rebecca's skin with any of the above in as that might just trigger an anaphylactic reaction! I know the majority of kids don't have nut allergies, but you don't know until the first time your lo has a reaction! Sorry, rant over,

Sue

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:57 pm

What's wrong with Shea butter Sue? Does that count as a nut? I thought it was more of a seed-kernel type thing?

I hate coconut myself - I have a skin reaction but nothin as severe as anaphylaxis :? That's a scary reaction to have to worry about with even skin lotions - must make life rather difficult for you...

Almond oil is absorbed well by the skin I think and is very light so it makes a good base oil - most massage oils use that when in fact grape-seed oil would be much better...

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:07 pm

i cant eat almonds (very mild reaction tho, like very bad hayfever) so i try to avoid anything with almond oil in just in case...tho tbh my hand are so awful i doubt i'd notice a rash!!! i cant cut up most fruit cos i get itcht and red between my fingers too...things that have stones in (which look like almonds funnily enough!!!) i read somewhere ages ago that apples, plums peaches and cherries and almonds (and other releted fruits) were all part of the rose family. which would make sense seeing as i cant eat or touch any of them....anyway i h ave rambles so as i dont remeber my point...must have been something to do with allergies, but cant remember what.
crying 4 year old. bye

My avatar
sueeltringham
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sueeltringham » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:09 pm

Shea butter is from a nut, although a very large one. I can't find any reports of anyone reacting to it, but we have been advised by the consultants to avoid contact with products containing it as a reaction is possible. It's very frustrating as many cosmetics and potions I might buy from WAHMS or other sources often contain forbidden stuff, including nut oils, milk products and even egg products (all of which Rebecca is allergic to). I don't really buy cosmetics or creams from high street sources as these contain loads of nasties and I've got supersensitive skin, but not in the same league as Rebecca!

Sue

My avatar
sueeltringham
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sueeltringham » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:13 pm

Shevi, you are right almonds, peaches, apples, plums etc are all related. I think it's quite a common thing to react to, especially the nuts/kernels.

PreviousNext

Return to Nappy Rash