Help please - Severe Nappy Rash

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Help please - Severe Nappy Rash

Postby Allie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:04 pm

Hi

Harriet has had severe nappy rash for a few weeks now and we have seen the GP several times. We've tried a variety of creams but it doesn't seem to be clearing up. Basically it's very red and is blistered. The creams we've tried are:

Boots Nappy Cream
Sudocreme (prescribed)
Bepanthen
Metanium
Canesten (prescribed)
Fucidin (prescribed - antibiotic and antiseptic combined)

Currently using Fucidin 3 times a day and Metanium at each nappy change.

Can anyone help or suggest anything else to try? I should mention that Harriet is currently teething and is cutting molars :(

I feel like a bad mummy at the moment :cry:

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:17 pm

has the gp told you to put a barrier cream ontop of the prescribed stuff.

We have been battling with fungal infection / nappy rash and had datkacort and 1/4 inch thick of vaseline on top at every nappy change recommended by dr to keep the cream doing the work on the skin, rather than being rubbed off on nappy or as soon as the first drip of wee hits it.

I then found Bepanthen worked best (after 6 weeks of using millions of tubs of vaseline) as the barrier cream ontop of the prescribed lotions.

Also we change every 2 hours (or more if poo arrives) during the day.

I have also found I have had to switch to paper liners (we prefer boots at the mo for softness) to save the nappies getting so much gunk on them.

Might be worth going back in a couple of days if its getting no better and seeing if Daktacort is worth a try (believe me I tried EVERYTHING) - the dr even took a swab to check for really bad nasty stuff, which thankfully came back clear.

We have been battling this bum since birth but now its working - still scaring and I'm not sure if the fungal is gone, but as its under control I don't see a reason and neither does gp to change cream routine.

Good luck!

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Allie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:40 pm

Hi yes. I have been using a barrier cream on top of the prescribed stuff. Have tried all combinations and nothing seems to work. I'm at the docs tomorrow for Harriets MMR anyway so i'll ask about the Daktacort.

My avatar
sueeltringham
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sueeltringham » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:51 pm

We battled this for months and months and wool has been our saviour. We use wool full time now and it has really helped. We use homemade wipes, pure water for the wipes solution and water alone in the bath. Nappies are washed at 60 C (we find that helps as bugs can survive a 40 C wash and reinfect the rash). It might be worth stripping your nappies just in case. We change nappies very frequently and only use bamboo (microfibre, PUL and fleece make things worse). Lots of nappy free time and allow the bum to dry between changes. I'm sure you're probably doing this anyway, but that's what's worked for us.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:57 pm

Okay the first thing I would ask/check is

a) how you wash your nappies, have they been stripped recently, ensure they're washed at 60 until at least a week after the rash is gone.
b) How often do you change? When Isabelle has a rash it has to be ever 2hrs or more often
c) What do you use to clean her with? I swear by the earthfriendlybabycompany wipes as I didn't have much success with cloth wipes, I *think* it was caused by cross-contamination, and also not cleaning her skin fully as we only used water.
d) try the angelbaby bottom balm - it is magic stuff, contains st.john's wort which is fantastic for healing
e) I would say don't use paper liners as I know Isabelle is allergic to them - we have to have fleece only here... Wet paper against the skin tends to aggravate rashes (which is essentially what it can be depending on the paper liner!) BUT some babies are allergic to fleece...
f) Plenty of nappy off time
g) over boost nappies at night and put wool over the top...
h) avoid microfibre as it is quite sweaty and can aggravate rashes
i) Aloe vera gel is very calming and soothing - calamine lotion is good for angry skin too
j) ETA: Dry the bum/bits after wiping too...

I'm sure I'll think of something else but that covers most things I think!! :D

My avatar
JennyWren
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby JennyWren » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:38 pm

poor Harriet, but don't feel like you are a bad mum. you're obviously doing everything you can and want the best for her. It will pass.
We were plagued with nappy rash for a long time but Liv has been rash free for several months now. I got fed up with using medicinal creams (although I found that metanium did work very well) as it seemed to go against a wish to use only natural products against her skin.
This is how we cracked it:
washing at 60 with pre-wash and extra rinse(s) at end
switching to bio powder - would recommend Aquados
using a disp at night - would rather avoid but otherwise would probably have quit cloth altogether.

hope you find something that works, keep your pecker up !
Jenny x

My avatar
Jamling
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Jamling » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:42 pm

It's so horrible when they get severe nappy rash :cry: I almost gave up on cloth because of it at one point.:shock:

I found (after trying loads of different lotions, potions, creams etc) that Weleda cream did the trick and I also putting a cloth wipe soaked in homemade wipe solution (camomile tea, few drops lavender and few drops olive oil) next to his bum especially in a night nappy really helped. I also try to use wool covers more if he's got a sore bum which fortunately is not that often now. I only put cream on now if he has a sore bum not all the time which seems to work better.

I didn't find my doc very helpful in fact they suggested that it was because babies who wear cloth nappies get more nappy rash :x:roll: We tried bepanthen but it made no difference :D Hope you find a solution. Don't feel bad you are doing all you can.

Nikki

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Allie » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:03 pm

Thanks for all your advice. I've stripped all Harriets nappies today and given her loads of nappy free time. I might be being a bit optimistic but I THINK it may have improved a little. I have a fight with nursery tomorrow as they want her in sposies whilst her nappy rash is so bad but I really don't think it would make any difference so I'm going to insist on cloth.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:11 pm

scrunchkins wrote:I have a fight with nursery tomorrow as they want her in sposies whilst her nappy rash is so bad but I really don't think it would make any difference so I'm going to insist on cloth.

Well you can tell them that research shows that babies in disposables are actually MORE likely to get nappy rash... :)
Make sure they dry her though as our nursery weren't and it caused problems :?

Next

Return to Nappy Rash