hf1

Help please - Severe Nappy Rash

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:39 pm

I know of people who have gone to pottying, starting with timing because of nappy rash. Also I would have a good look at her diet (and yours if you're breastfeeding) and think about holistic therapies? Homeopathy could help, also if there's an infection present Grapeseed Extract (the best known brand if Citricidal iirc) could be useful in a wipe solution or bottom-wash. Silk or silver nappy liners can help too.

My avatar
angelwingz
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby angelwingz » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:27 pm

Sometimes overloading their bottys with lotions and potions so quickly can aggravate it.

TIPS

Airing bum as much as possible to aid healing.
If you are using disposable wipes stop and use washable ones. Just plain warm water will do or a mild soap if you have (like african black soap, goats milk soap??)
Soak a fleece liner in some cammomile tea, let it cool then place into nappy. Come the morning it will be a lot better, repeat as necessary.
Try to avoid the creams for a few days. If you find that this is not working i would probably try diluting some tea tree oil for using as a wipe solution (be careful with this on sensitive bums)

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:34 am

Oh yes I forgot to add we use Dove soap to wash his bum at every nappy change, then wash it off with a solution of camomille tea and a pinch of salt (in the whole tub) then a good drying.

Generally plain water constantly will not remove the amonia in the wee and if and when this does mix with poo it makes the situation a whole lot worse - which the gp thought was the main start of our whole problem.

Not had any comments either way about cloth use and we have been seeing 2 gp's regarding bum (I trust 2 out of 4 in the practice so we choose either). Wool sometimes I think may have helped.

Previous

Return to Nappy Rash