hf1

Blisters

My avatar
laymon
Clothie
Clothie

Blisters

Postby laymon » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:35 pm

Rheya suffers with nappy rash from time to time, she's got sensitive skin like her mum :(

She got it again yesterday and I did what I normally do...put a disposable liner in the nappy and use some metanium (it's the only thing that seems to work on her) but this time it just got worse and worse until today I saw that she had a blister on her lady bits, then later it became a sore, so I put her in disposables for the rest of the day (because that usually works as a last resort) but it's just not shifting.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss what to try next.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:14 pm

It could be that she's got a fungal infection (very easy to get) or similar e.g. thrush which would need treating with a medicated cream from the docs and may well not shift without it...

Personally I don't find that disposables improve rashes at all, but then Isabelle seems to be allergic to them - supersensitive skin and all that!

Try all the usual suspects, strip the nappies, wash them at 60 until the rash is gone, use fleece liners to keep her dry, change more often, don't use barrier creams but something like angel baby bottom balm which contains st.john's wort is good for healing the skin, dry after each change, check what you're wiping her with...

Have a read of the other threads too to see if in my alcoholic haze of 1 yes 1 glass of wine I've forgotton anything as I'm sure I have :oops:

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:24 am

lol re the alcoholic glaze...

blistering... I can't see any tickers and my brain is fried so I don't know how old but I'd look at diet, particularly volume of fluids and potential allergens... and yes if there's a possibility of thrush, which is a fungal infection then you need to tackle it and limit any transmission anywhere else and to anyone else. I don't 'do' mainstream meds on the whole but thrush is a nasty bugger for mums and babies and you need to swat it *fast*

My avatar
laymon
Clothie
Clothie

Postby laymon » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:49 pm

I'm pretty sure it's not a fungal infection.

I did have her back in cloth today (right up until about 10 mins ago actually) this morning it still looked sore but on the mend so I decided to put her back in her FB's, when I changed her in Asda at around 4pm she was bleeding, but I only had FB's with me so she went back into cloth.

She just woke up from a nap screaming in pain and it took both me and my husband to change her nappy because she wouldn't let me clean her...so I'm afraid she's back in disposables.

I really wish I believed that disposables didn't help clear nappy rash but Rheya has had nappy rash a lot and whereas sometimes it's not too bad and will clear with a little metanium, there have been other more severe times that only disposables have gotten rid of it.

Teething is the cause for her nappy rash and has been everytime.

The reason I'm trying disposables (and trust me, I don't like it, they stink!) is because it looks like it needs to be as dry as possible and nothing is dryer than a disposable (apart from nekkid time, which she has had, but she needs something long term)

I'll be giving her a bath soon and some more naked time

My avatar
laymon
Clothie
Clothie

Postby laymon » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:04 pm

trogette wrote:I can't see any tickers and my brain is fried so I don't know how old but I'd look at diet, particularly volume of fluids

She's almost 14 months old.

She drinks a hellava lot of water can that be a problem?

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Allie » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi Hun

I don't have any advice to offer, just hugs as I know just how you must be feeling. Harriet is just over 14 months old and her nappy rash is linked to teething. She was also blistered but by following the advice on the thread I started it is improving slowly.

Allie x

My avatar
JennyWren
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby JennyWren » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:30 pm

hiya, poor you and Freya, hope it improves soon. Liv had persistent nappy rash until a few months ago and we got rid of it by switching to bio powder (Aquados), washing at 60 always, with prewash and extra rinse at end (sometimes 2 rinses if I can still see bubbles). Also disp at night. She is totally rash free now and we don't have to use any creams at all.
I know different things work for different people but this definitely worked for us and I have read other mums suggesting bio powder, so it's just a suggestion.
All the best, Jenny x

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:37 am

If she's drinking plenty of water that's OK, I was wondering more about not enough.

My avatar
laymon
Clothie
Clothie

Postby laymon » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:00 pm

trogette wrote:If she's drinking plenty of water that's OK, I was wondering more about not enough.

Oh no fear of her not drinking enough, she drinks more than I do :lol:

her sore is healing now, but only because I put her in disposables...she really needed to be as dry as possible and she can soak a cloth nappy is seconds :roll:

I'll be asking for nappy advise so I can be prepared in future though. I hated using disposables, they stink and she had a stupid skinny bum, I missed her big cloth bum :lol:

Return to Nappy Rash