hf1

Best nappy

My avatar
laymon
Clothie
Clothie

Best nappy

Postby laymon » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:05 pm

I was wondering if there is a particular type of nappy that is best for preventing/getting rid of nappy rash?

I mainly use FB's but her rashes just get worse and worse if I keep using them when she starts to look a litte red.

I've tried changing her often, creams galore (with a disposable liner of course) nappy free time. At the moment the only thing that seems to work to get rid of a nasty rash is putting her in disposables, either just for one nappy change, or (if it's really severe) for a day.

I don't want to do this again so I was wondering if something like a bamboo nappy would be better or something like that?

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:16 pm

Silk liners are supposed to be good for nappy rash as silk has natural healing properties. I've not tried them myself though.

I would determine that it's not thrush and if not then smear the affected area with whisked egg white or honey.

I would have suggested a fleece lined nappy, but you say that fuzzi's don't help. Unless your fuzzy fleece is clogged? Have you stripped them recently?

My avatar
laymon
Clothie
Clothie

Postby laymon » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:25 pm

ladybird wrote:Have you stripped them recently?

She just moved into PT so they are practically new, I don't think they need stripping just yet...FB's have never helped with nappy rash though...I don't think it's the nappy's fault, it's just that Rheya is a VERY heavy wetter.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:16 pm

Bamboo is one of the best as it's naturally antibacterial...
You can use bamboo to stuff pockets...

Making sure Isabelle's nappies are over absorbent seems to help her not have rashes - so it's bamboo ontop of hemp for us, if we do use MF then always hemp underneath and never use mf at night.

I find that for rashes avoiding microfibre helps (e.g. the inserts that fuzzis have)...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:17 pm

I've just moved this to the nappy rash section.

My avatar
Liss07
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Liss07 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:38 pm

i'd say bamboo fitteds underneath wool is the best for us - it dpes the trick everytime, especially overnight :)

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:03 pm

Wool definately seems to help here, helps the skin breathe better I think than the pul. And agree on the bamboo, supposed to be antibacterial.

My avatar
sueeltringham
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sueeltringham » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:08 pm

Definitely Bamboo with wool over the top. We have had horrendous rash appear over the last week and each time it was gone by the next day -amazing!

sue

My avatar
baby_bufters
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby baby_bufters » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:23 pm

I would stay away from man made soakers like microfiber and use bamboo, cotton or hemp.

Return to Nappy Rash