hf1

Thrush?

My avatar
michebe
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Thrush?

Postby michebe » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:49 pm

Hi, my baby has just started using cloth, and now has a horrendous rash, it doesnt look like any rash shes had before, its like little red pimples with a white head. I think it looks like thrush, would it be ok to use canestan i have in the house or do i need to go the gps to make sure its thrush first?

Mich

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Thrush?

Postby AnnetteandBen » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:49 pm

It sounds like it could be thrush, but then it could be other things, so would be worth getting it checked out by the dr just incase they suggest something other than the cream you already have (unless it was prescribed for your child in the first place).

Have you considered it could also be caused / made worse by your washing powder. I have recently discovered we can only use bio, going against what most people would think when you have a sensitive bum :roll:

Good luck at getting it cleared up asap!

And welcome to cloth nappy tree as I saw it was your first post :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

My avatar
artiezoo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby artiezoo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:44 pm

I would take your LO to the GP as if it is thrush than the GP will prescribe a cream meant for thrush in nappy areas.

Hope the rash clears up quickly.

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:31 pm

One of my girls has had this recently and it was thrush in her case :( I don;t think caneston is good for babies though (may be wrong on that but it hasnever been mentioned for us)

I'd take her either to the GP or to baby clinic just to get checked, they will also prescribe whatever creams are needed to clear it all up!

jan x

My avatar
michebe
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby michebe » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:09 pm

well it seems a bit better today, have been putting liners in with camomile tea on them, so hopefully should be all ok soon :)

Mich

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:30 pm

Isabelle has been prescribed canasten in the past - but canasten is just the brand, they do different strengths of creams.

If it doesn't clear in a few days and still looks like that then a trip to the docs is a good idea - I wouldn't put a medicated cream on baby's bum that wasn't prescribed...

Have a look at our top tips thread and don't forget if you suspect thrush to wash anything that comes into contact with it at 60 to avoid re-infecting.

My avatar
michebe
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby michebe » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:25 pm

She did a poo in her nappy while having a nap, now she is really sore again and is bleeding :( my poor baby, i left her out of her nappy for a while before trying again with the camomile soaked liners, if it still looks bad on monday then i think i will go to the gps, it really looks nasty.

Mich

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:30 pm

How old is she? Could her poo be really acidic because of teething?

Katie had a long spell where as soon as she poo'd her bum went raw, it always seemed to coincide with teething. And thrush creams didn't help.

My avatar
michebe
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby michebe » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:33 pm

Shes 6 and half months and is teething so it could be that, she had her first 2 teeth at 4 months but these next ones are taking ages, shes definately chewing on everything anyway. It is easing slowly, just hope it goes soon, she was screaming whenever i cleaned her bum yesterday :( i felt so mean for hurting her

Return to Nappy Rash