teething and nappy rash

My avatar
beaubelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

teething and nappy rash

Postby beaubelle » Tue May 04, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi ladies,

Is it true that teething can cause nappy rash? My ds seems to be getting red areas around his inguinal folds, in spite of being changed pretty much every 2 hours by day and once during the night. I use cloth nappies during the day and disposables by night :oops: , but I don't really think the different nappies are an issue because this is just a recent occurence. I have been using vaseline and bepanthen with the sposies but there's no real improvement. My question is really if it is something to do with teething.. He's nearly 16 weeks old and drools and chews on his fist constantly, so though we have no teeth yet, I'd say he's teething.

Any advice? I have tried using disposables on their own for a day or two but there's no real improvement. What would you recommend as a barrier cream with cloth

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: teething and nappy rash

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue May 04, 2010 12:49 pm

Do you clean&dry the creases/folds at every change?
I don't like barrier creams for that kind of rash as they don't relaly let the skin breathe :?

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:53 pm

Yes it is true, My DD gets horrendous nappy rash when she is teething but she gets pee that could strip paint when she is teething :giggle: I usually find that fitteds with fleece work well for her when she is teething so that her wee bum is more breathable and I dry everything completely with a muslin at every change.
Not much more I can offer in the way of advice I'm afraid, hope his teeth come through quickly :hug:

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Tue May 04, 2010 1:00 pm

Some babies do get nappy rash when they are teething. However, it's normal for four month old babies to drool and chew on their fists, it a developmental phase and doesn't necessarily mean they are teething.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue May 04, 2010 1:28 pm

Both my children have got rashes when teething but its not actually a rash due to the teething but when they have teethed/are teething their wee is sooooo strong and their poo is too...its that which gives them a sore bottom in minutes, even if i pounce and change them ASAP...when Kieren is really teething i change him every hour-1.5hrs during the day to try and keep on top of it...

I also use a barrier cream in that instance to try and give the skin a bit of protection against the wee/poo. (eta i either use bepanthen or sudocreme, just make sure you use a liner in the nappy). I also like greenbaby soothing balm (http://www.greenbaby.com/Green+Baby+Pro ... GBT009.htm)

My avatar
toryuk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby toryuk » Tue May 04, 2010 1:44 pm

T seems to get a rash every now and again for a few days. I try and change plenty and lots of
nappy off time. Metatanium through the day and sudocrem at night - seems to work well for us. Good luck Hun x

My avatar
beaubelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby beaubelle » Tue May 04, 2010 5:07 pm

Thanks a mill ladies.....

I do clean and dry creases at every change... I had begun using baby wipes but have since gone back to plain old cotton wool and water. I use dry cotton wool to dry him off.

For those of you who use barrier creams with liners, can you wash the liners with your normal nappy wash?

Thanks!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue May 04, 2010 5:29 pm

Yes i spread sudocrem or whatever on thinkly over his bum so there isnt loads on the liner anyway and then i chuck them in with the nappy wash :)

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Tue May 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Max is the same - pee so strong it brings tears to my eyes. I use Waitrose bottom butter and it works very well, really is magic cream and no nasties in it either.

Return to Nappy Rash