hf1

excema in nappy area?

My avatar
moo54
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

excema in nappy area?

Postby moo54 » Mon May 10, 2010 2:01 pm

Hiya, not sure if right place to post, but my dd (6mths) seems to have excema from below her belly button to above her lady bits - so in the front of her nappy area, not nappy rash as it's not on her bot? Ds has/had excema too, so it does seem like that....anyway - I'm thinking that it might be worse as it's enclosed in a nappy all day? If I use the emulsifying wax that works on ds will it ruin the cloth? We use pockets.

I've noticed it getting worse since we moved to using cloth at night..just over the last week - but surely this in in my head? :-?

Any ideas ladies? She has a bit on her tummy but hardly noticeable, this area in her nappy looks very sore :(

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: excema in nappy area?

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Mon May 10, 2010 2:13 pm

Don't know if this is any help but DS gets a similar sort of rash on his legs when I use night nappies. I assume it is the wetness being in contact with the skin for extended periods of time. He doesn't get nappy rash though :-?

Not sure on the answer to the cream question. I use cream with any of my nappies but I don't think you are supposed to. :oops:

I would maybe just try lots of nappy off time. I guess it could be exzema as it tends to occur in 'sweaty' areas anyway. ie backs of knees inside elbows, groin etc.

Hope someone has better advice for you soon.

My avatar
Soozi
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Soozi » Mon May 10, 2010 2:22 pm

I dont have any experience with this but i know sally (princessliana) does so maybe pm her if she doesnt see this?

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon May 10, 2010 2:27 pm

No advice on excema I'm afraid but yep cream will ruin you nappies, you will get a build up, I always use a liner in night nappies any way but they also stop any cream transferring onto the nappy. Fleece lines act as a stay dry layer keeping bubs skin dry so perhaps try that. Free bum time as much as possuble is always good

We have never had any rashes from wetness (it is poo that causes nappy rash)

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon May 10, 2010 2:39 pm

Cream only clogs nappies in my experience when it's put on thickly...

I used to use pure shea butter on Isabelle and taht worked a treat for eczema patches, combine with a wet fleece liner soaked in cammomile tea...

You can use fleece liners in pockets if you're worried about clogging them and then if they clog you can scrub the liners with washing up liquid to remove any greasy residue...

I would also eliminate all microfibre from your inserts and use bamboo and hemp instead - microfibre is very sweaty and makes matters worse.

Don't use commercial baby wipes - use cold cammomile tea and home made wipes instead and make sure you dry after each change before the nappy goes on too especially in the creases - just dab/pat dry with a dry wipe or spare terry/prefold/towel.

Make sure you're washing at 60 and doing a full rinse cycle after too to ensure there's no detergent residue building up in the nappy and don't use liquid detergents to wash nappies as it builds up in the fibres worse.

Lastly - change more frequently - when mine are/were sore I changed every 2hrs and it made a huge difference... Once the rash is gone I can go back to 3-4hrly in an appropriately absorbent nappy ;)

Hope some of that ramble helps!!

My 'magic' nappy rash cream is the angel baby bottom balm.

My avatar
moo54
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby moo54 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks ladies :) I only use washable wipes with water but I might move to camomile tea.....and make sure I dry properly, I'm a bit lazy I s'pose.I have 2 in cloth (ds just 2) and some days feels like never ending bum changes! I can't not use mf as most of what I am using for dd are ds's bgs but when she is big enough she will inherit all his wnss with GK bamboo. I might go back to disposables at night for a few days and see if that makes a change - the rash has only worsened since using night nappies (boosted flips or wnnnn), then if it clears up I can work on the prob of wetness overnight ifykwim.

I do a wash at 60'c as have 2 in cloth but I don't have a rinse cycle so do a express wash at the end, plus use eco balls every few washes to get rid of any build up of bold.

Gonna give her plenty of nappy free time with sock gloves to prevent her scratching....

if anyone else has any points happy to hear them!

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Mon May 10, 2010 5:03 pm

:idea: :idea: :idea:
Honey started getting excema all over but it is much worse in nappy area :( her skin dries out really badly
this is what we do to keep it at bay
bath in oilatum
put oilatum cream all over after bath and on her bottom at every nappy change it soaks straight in and we use fleece liners too just incase.
we dry with talc (diaper rash talc northern essence) at every nappy change then follow with cream
we wash using soapflakes or soap nuts and Biod to kill germs
it is worse in pul so we have sold our pul wraps and use mainly fitteds and fleece or wool wraps (we only have one pair of wooly crops atm) we can still use or pockets as long as its no more than 1 in a row at night we use flongies and this really helps
hth,

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Mon May 10, 2010 5:27 pm

I would bath with oats (oats in an old stocking/sock/foot of tights, put under running water). We use Chickweed and calendula cream from www.earthbound.co.uk for anything vaguely eczema looking, chickweed works wonders on eczema and calendula is very soothing. It looks expensive on that site, but lasts for ages. A lot of prescription eczema stuff contains harsh chemicals, we ended up seeing a homeopath to clear Tallin's eczema about 6yrs ago and he hasn't had it back since.

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Mon May 10, 2010 5:33 pm

ladybird wrote:I would bath with oats (oats in an old stocking/sock/foot of tights, put under running water). We use Chickweed and calendula cream from http://www.earthbound.co.uk for anything vaguely eczema looking, chickweed works wonders on eczema and calendula is very soothing. It looks expensive on that site, but lasts for ages. A lot of prescription eczema stuff contains harsh chemicals, we ended up seeing a homeopath to clear Tallin's eczema about 6yrs ago and he hasn't had it back since.

Oats as in just porridge oats ? and thanks so much for the link we will try that ive been avoiding reading the ingredients list after the natural creams we were using stopped working :cry: I really hope it works she is sensitive to some natural oils too :(

Next

Return to Nappy Rash