hf1

EeeGee - Nappy Rash

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

EeeGee - Nappy Rash

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:12 pm

EeeGee wrote:One thing I get confused about. Now I use disposable wipes (I'm just getting back into cloth right now, so I'm taking it one step at a time!! Wipes will come :lol: don't jump on me ladies!! :D) but I dry her thoroughly EVERY time after her nappy change and she still occasionally gets red and rashy?!!

I don't really understand it! Sometimes I know it's from teething, but other times I can tell it's cos she wasn't dry properly... but how can that be??? What am I doing wrong?

Well there's a couple of things that it could be...

It could be that she is sensitive to the wipes you are using... I have only found one brand of wipes that did not give Isabelle a spotty bum and that is the earth friendly baby company wipes - everything else from Boots unperfumed/sensitive to Simple or hu99ies left rashes of some sort and John$$$$sons were the absolute worst!

I think Tory has a similar problem - she can't use disposable wipes on Louis as he ends up rashy...

You could wipe her with plain water and a flannel after using the wipes before you dry her - that might help...

Another thing that can cause rashes is build-up on the nappies... If there is powder residue trapped in the fabric that can cause rashes, perhaps take a look at how you wash them and or if you do extra rinses etc...

Some babies find nappies with microfibre in them like fluffles can be quite sweaty and that in itsself can cause rashes...

It's a complicated old game when your LO has sensitive skin!! :D

Hope you find the solution xx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: EeeGee - Nappy Rash

Postby clothmama » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:15 pm

Just replied above so deleted and pasted!!

If I use any of the 'normal' brand wipes he goes red straight away, Steph gave me a pack of Earth Friendly baby baby wipes and have never had a problem with them (I only use when out and about) so it may just be the chemicals in the wipes. I realised how bad they can be when I used one I used to use on Josh (who always cried when being changed) on me aaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww it hurt!!!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:16 pm

You confused me there Tory!! :lol:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:51 am

Velvetsteph wrote:You confused me there Tory!! :lol:

I'd replied in the thread she posted on adn then saw this thread so copied what I wrote adn deleted the other post :? :twisted: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My avatar
EeeGee
Clothie
Clothie

Postby EeeGee » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:53 am

Ooops I've only just seen this! Thanks! Erm... well, when I have some money again I'm going to look at getting some reuseable wipes I think definitely, but in the meantime I will switch brands of wipes I think.

Thanks for your help - again - ladies! :D

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:33 pm

cheap options of reusable wipes are...
ikea flannels (come in packs of 5)
pretty washable discloths (like the sarah smith ones from sainsburies or waitrose) cut up (each big one makes 4 wipes so 16 from 1 pack!)
random clothes or old towels you ahve at home chopped up

i used the sarah smith pretty cloths chopped up for ages and ages, and they wash and work really really well, i had the concertina folded in an old pampers box to they popped up conviniently, and sqirted water or soapy mixture on them from a little bottle...after a few months (tho i still use these for hands faces and surfaces in the kitchen now) i realised that washable witped were saving me about £2-3 every week so i splurged on gorgeous wee notions ones which i love to bits (and are fab for makeup removal too!)

tho my sarah smith cloths are still going well more than a year on

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:28 pm

I use Lidl cleaning cloths about 80p for a pack of 6, each cut into 4. soaked and wet in camomille tea and a teaspoon of salt so they are nice and wet (salt recommended by gp for killing things!). For the one cleaning one I also rub a bit of dove soap on (or dove liquid) so he is getting a good lather on the skin, before wiping it off so it is nice and clean, then dried.

Return to Nappy Rash