hf1

Red bum :( Yay it's gone!

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Red bum :(

Postby Fayesmum » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:06 pm

I've looked through our stash and we have 1 fleece lined nappy that is usually a napping/last few hours before bed nappy....
Not sure what I should do about the liners though? Are liners necessary? I think I'll start with changing powder at the weekend when we go to Tesco and see how things go with nappy free time as well, she isn't crying when I change her

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Red bum :( update

Postby Fayesmum » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:13 am

Well I've changed the detergent to Persil powder but haven't had chance to see an effect yet... Fayes bum has been looking slightly better as I've been getting by with using our silk liners and the silver ones Stacey kindly sent me ( :hug: ). Last night I used a new minki liner which hasn't even been pre washed so not clogged with cream and her bum is looking reddish again this morning :-? And the nappy smelt really strongly of ammonia but she was drinking like a fish yesterday so I know she isn't dehydrated

Is it the nappies and detergent build up??? Should I strip again, even though it wasn't that long ago when I did it last. The nappy was one that I've not washed in new powder

If anyone can help, I'd be really grateful :-?

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:19 am

If your nappies are smelling of amonia I would say you definetly need to strip them again. Maybe do a maintenance wash on your machine first. Steph (velvetsteph) has done a good tutorial in the washing section.

I have been very lucky with Oscar and we have only had nappy rash a few times. I bathed him in water with lavender oil and applied chamonmile (sp) at night. I have never used any creams so I know our nappies are never clogged up. Also make sure she has lots and lots of free nappy time.

I hope she starts to improve.

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:39 am

Rowan gets really strong ammonia smelling nappies in the morning when she's teething, so much so they can make your eyes water - otherwise there is usually very little smell. These also cause her bum to be very red. The only thing I've found to work is making sure the nappy is very well boosted so it doesn't get completely saturated and the pee wick back through the fleece liner and to smother her bum in Bepanthen. If I don't catch it early and it develops spots or blisters then a thin layer of Timodine cream from the HV with a thick layer of Bepanthen over the top usually does the trick. The Bepanthen seems to seal in the Timodine so it gets a chance to work without being washed away when she pees. It's such trial and error though and so frustrating to see them so sore. Hopefully you get some luck soon and it clears up.

Cathleen xx

My avatar
coastal
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby coastal » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:50 am

cat27m wrote:Rowan gets really strong ammonia smelling nappies in the morning when she's teething, so much so they can make your eyes water - otherwise there is usually very little smell. These also cause her bum to be very red.

DS is the same. He has awful nappy rash (to the point he was referred to Dermatology) due to teething. His pee becomes very acidic and burns his skin. I was tearing my hair out trying every possible combination of nappy/cream/detergent/liner... so really empathise.
The only thing that has worked (after a fashion - he still gets a bit red) is the Icthamol we were prescribed by the dermatologist, which I hate using, but needs must.
Hope you find a solution soon.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:47 pm

I would ditch the liners altogether and don't touch any nappy lined in anything synthetic. And if you think it might be teething then Ashtons and Parsons powders are great at helping the teething side effects such as nappy rash.
Tallin has ammonia nappies in the morning and I find that simply putting them through a rinse cycle before a hot (60c) wash is enough.

For a cream, the best we found was a chickweed and calendula cream by Earthbound Organics. Not cheap, but worked wonders and only a small amount needed so the pot lasted a while. I won't touch the prescribed stuff though, at least not until I've exhausted natural possibles. I think a lot of the crap in prescribed stuff makes things worse not better - so much has petroleum products in, or alcohols - all drying and nasty to the skin.

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:03 pm

if ditching the liners, what about keeping her bum dry? We only have one fleece lined nappy the rest are bamboo, hemp inners. Though the new nappies that have come this afternoon are Bv inners so will have to see how that goes

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:06 pm

It never bothered my 3 without liners. People use paper liners without a problem and tbh, I don't think fleece keeps bums *that* dry anyway.

I would go more for bamboo than hemp if you can, I have heard (no idea if it's true) that bamboo has healing properties of it's own.

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:09 pm

I think we've actually got more bamboo than hemp anyway... Thanks I'll ditch the liners and see we get on... to use cream though would I be best using paper liners than? won't cream harm the nappies?

PreviousNext

Return to Nappy Rash