hf1

New to cloth - stubborn rash :-(

My avatar
Fliblet
Clothie
Clothie

New to cloth - stubborn rash :-(

Postby Fliblet » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:41 pm

Hello ladies - wondered if anyone has any suggestions about how I can clear up my little one's rash? He's nearly 3 weeks old, and I've been using cloth since we got home from the hospital. While I was in hospital for 3 days, he was in disposables and had no rash at all. Now he's in cloth, he's had a rash pretty much permanently which started on his bum cheeks and is now spreading to his inner thighs as well. :-?

We use a mix of cotton Diddy Diapers, cotton Bimbles and TotsBots Bamboozle Stretchies with Nature Babies, Thirsties and ME Airflow wraps (all PUL). Originally, I was using paper liners, but thought I would try fleece liners to see if that helped to clear it. Initially, I thought they'd helped, but it's back as bad as it was and a bit worse now! :( I've also started using Bepanthen, but that hasn't seemed to help much either. I use washable wipes with either plain water or chamomile tea to try to soothe it. I also make sure his bum is properly dry before his nappy goes back on (we use a hairdryer on a low setting and he loves it! :) ).

I confess I'm a bit scared about the idea of wool, but if that's the only thing that will work, then I would be prepared to give it a try. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I feel that I've only just started with cloth and I'm failing already! :cry:

All ideas gratefully received! Thanks :)

Corinne

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: New to cloth - stubborn rash :-(

Postby chocmuffin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:57 pm

:idea: Didn't want to read & run :hug:

Not sure really but I'm of the understanding that a baby so young (not weaned) rarely gets nappy rash :-?

I think I would be inclined to think that it was either an allergy to the nappy materiel or thrush, I am thinking thrush is more likely cos if it was an allergy I would think it would start all over not in one place & spread!

Why don't you ask the HV to have a look?

Hope its sorted soon :hug:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:11 pm

It could be thrush. The rash on his inner thighs could be an allergy to the pull but that doesn't explain the rash on his bottom. Are your nappies new or pre-loved? What are you washing them with (bio/non-bio, liquid/powder)?

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Sounds like you are doing everything perfectly! Sudocrem worked for us. It should be rubbed in and doesn't need to be applied at every nappy change. We usually put Emma in a disposable when she needs Sudocrem though as it's not ideal to get the cream on real nappies. Hope it gets better soon.

My avatar
Fliblet
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Fliblet » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Some new, most pre-loved - maybe I need to strip them? Washing in Simply Pure Eco Smart tabs (1 per wash). The thrush comment is interesting as have had boob pain after feeding the whole time and just assumed that was part of the joys of breastfeeding, but reading up a bit on thrush, it does sound like it might be a symptom. Have just had a look in William's mouth and can't see any obvious sign of thrush, but the rash does look like it might match it. Perhaps a trip to the doctor is in order on Monday :(

Corinne x

My avatar
ulig
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ulig » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:38 pm

My lo also had a stubborn rash (probably thrush) when he was that age. I gave him as much nappy free time as possible and that seemed to help.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:39 pm

Thrush doesn't have to be in his mouth to be on his bottom, even if it's on your nipples. Are you nipples quite pale pink hun because they generally are if you have thrush? Hold off on stripping the nappies until you find out if it is thrush coz you will have to strip them if it is anyway (as far as I know). Think 1 tablet might be too much detergent as well hun. You only need a teaspoon or 2 of powder so that might be contributing.

HTH

Return to Nappy Rash