hf1

Silk liners - any good?

My avatar
rcf100
Clothie
Clothie

Silk liners - any good?

Postby rcf100 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:59 pm

Hey there - looking for some advice - probably going to be a long one - usually is!

DD is almost 1 and again has another case of horrid rash. She gets what looks like a big friction burn and it weeps and bleeds.

Everytime she gets it, it's either related to teething or illness and tends to co-incide with when her pooping cycle means she's pooping overnight.

Now I can normally get this cleared by lots of nappy off time, her pooping cycle changing, some hydrocortozone cream from the GP twice a day etc etc etc

I'm going to struggle this time I think though as she's now at nursery for 10 hrs a day, 3 days a week, so that's half the week that I can't do the nappy off time, so I'm thinking in investing in some silk liners, but are they any good - where can I buy them from, can I make them myself?

I've had a read of the nappyrash top tips on here and I'm going to try some lansinoh as that sounds quite popular and I'm also going to give the corn flower ago - but any other tips that aren't on there I'd love to hear

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Silk liners - any good?

Postby ems » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:59 pm

Yup silk liners are fab.. but only raw silk actually has the *healing* properties. Silk mixed with other fibres, and silk that has been processed heavily to not. It's the natural wax called sericin that is the provider of such fabulous healing qualities. Don't bother wasting your money on silk liners that do not say they are made from raw silk. A lot of places sell proper raw silk liners ;)
They are best hand washed, or machine washed using a very very very small amount of detergent. The idea is you dont want to wash off the natural oils.

Heres one place... http://www.cambridgebaby.co.uk/catalog/ ... -pack-of-3
Last edited by ems on Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:02 pm

Im pretty sure than beth at LLS sells them now

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:06 pm

yes, she does sell a silk liner... but they are not raw silk, so don't actually have the natural oil found in raw silk, so wont have any healing benefits of the sericin. Silk does not actually heal anything without this. Thats like taking the aspirin out of an aspirin pill and saying it will cure a headache ;)

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:15 pm

I have pure silk here as well. ;) Better add to the shop eh?

Bamboo silk is really more about combining with a bamboo antibacterial layer that's incredibly soft on silky next to LOs bottom. Works great in practice anyway on Ella's red bum overnight and feedback has been very good. Combined with wool it works well at taking liquid away from LOs bum and to the back of the nappy.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:29 pm

Bamboo as a plant is naturally antimicrobial, but in the way that it is processed to make fibre.. ie taking the cellulose to make the rayon, it loses this natural ability to be so.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:37 pm

i have a similar prob here, and i've ordered some silk liners from beth backed with wool interlock, i'll post after a week of use as to how we get on hun. he's really sore atm, was bleeding and screaming loads last night poor chap

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Well the bamboo silk and wool both work wonders on Ella's red bottom in practice and feedback has been good so far. Maybe it's just because the bamboosilk such a soft silky layer next to the skin though that helps and allows the skin to begin to heal. Whatever though it works well here. :giggle:

Nappy rash isn't normal though and is usually caused by a specific reason or is a temporary condition. Think it's more stopping the cause of the rash that's really more important anyway and alleviating it by whatever means is a side point to that.

I was under the impression that raw silk has to be washed at 30, which was never really that practical for me personally when I've used them in the past.

My avatar
rcf100
Clothie
Clothie

Postby rcf100 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:05 pm

TBH I'm at the stage where I'll try anything as it's awful and it's a reasonably regular occurance.

I've found some raw silk ones as recommended by Ems (but a little cheaper than that link) so I think I'll get some of them.

Beth, I've had a look on your website and it may just be me, but I don't think it's set up to buy, it says something about testing them - am I being stupid? Can I get some off you and how much and how quick can you get them out to me?

You mentioned about the causes and after I put this post on I've been down to see her (she goes to my mum on Fri while I'm at work and she's staying over tonight) and she's had the runs and been off her food, so I think this is prob her first nursery bug, bless her, she's only had 1 full week there!

What I was wondering and I'll maybe post on a seperate post too, but could it poss be ammonia burns - I'd never even heard about it before but there was something on another board about it and was wondering if you knew the difference and if they're treated differently?

Next

Return to Nappy Rash