hf1

Silk liners - any good?

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Silk liners - any good?

Postby beffys » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Hmm ammonia I'd imagine you'd be able to smell pretty strongly on nappies, etc from urine. I used to always notice rashing from the types of food being eaten as well like things that were acidic whether it was me or LO eating them, but certainly post to see responses in the nappy rash section as lots of people here with lots of experience. Personally we had a problem with rashes until we switched to knitted wool covers at night from Pixieknits, but still were using pockets in the day at nursery.

Yep I'd sent out some batches to be tested, so they have been getting used and tested. If you want I can send you a couple to test out to see what you think. Would be useful to see, just PM me your address and I'll send a couple on Monday to you.

And with first bugs at nursery, I know Ella spent the first 3-4 months getting sick, which is good as it makes her immune system lots stronger, cept she'd bring every bug home to me and DH and make OUR immune systems stronger a well. :giggle: Anytime there's a new kid a nursery it happens all over again as well.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:20 pm

i'd say dunno to ammonia burns too, as t gets a sore bottom but often the back of his pocket nappy is dry

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:24 pm

I think one of the things that can cause nappy rash is when the ammonia from the urine mixes with any traces of poo, but then Ella used to get nasty rash and blisters straight out the bath when her bum was clean and left to dry fully and then into a fitted night nappy and PUL wrap. For the life of us we never worked out what it was. We changed bath products, soap, diet, etc, then switching to wool fixed it for us. Whatever it was though, switching to wool eliminated it or it was a combination of that and switching to bold and changing the baby bath. Think things like that can flare up and then there was Lynni on here who the GP gave her antibiotic cream for as it was an infected rash.

My avatar
rcf100
Clothie
Clothie

Postby rcf100 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:33 pm

Beth that's awesome thanks - I'll PM you and I'll also compare them to the raw silk as well if you're interested.

See I've just moved over to a fleece stacinator at night - I was unsure whether it would work as she was a heavy wetter and although she's a tad damp, in general I can say it's a sucess. Due to that I'm thinking about moving to a wool wrap or soaker or whatever the terminology is - so hoping that will help.

There is a strong smell in the morning, but I regularly strip my nappies and only wash with soap nuts so I think that's just her stinking 12 hr pee. Does anyone use soap nuts - when I strip should I be adding detergent at that point, cos all I do is cold rinse, 60 degree soap nut wash, remove nuts and do 2 or 3 cold rinses

Right...PM to Beth and a new thread being started I think!

My avatar
rcf100
Clothie
Clothie

Postby rcf100 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:56 pm

I've started a new thread with loads more info if anyone's interested in helping me further

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=55799

Previous

Return to Nappy Rash