hf1

Rash with ulcers :(

My avatar
charlala
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Rash with ulcers :(

Postby charlala » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:43 pm

My LO is getting a a nappy rash with ulcers which reappears the second she is in cloth. Have pasted my post from babycentre:

need your help ladies.

My LO has been in cloth since 10 weeks, she'll be 1 year next week! We have never had any problems. About a month ago M developed a really bad nappy rash that ended with ulcers and open sores which wouldn't go for about 2 weeks. It went away after a second prescription cream was used for about 4 days. For the last 2 days we also used disposables. They completely grossed OH and I out and were horrible to use. After 48 hours back in cloth she's all bright red and sore again! I don't know why all of a sudden they are doing this to her?

She's not teething, I doubt it's detergent build-up as I have a very efficient machine and have also been using soap nuts instead of detergent for the last 2 months or so. So what could it be?? This has come at the same time as LO goes on a massive nursing strike. Silly as it sounds i feel really down about it - I feel like everything I stand for is being challenged!

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. In case it matters the cream that cleared up rash was fucidic - an antibiotic cream. Charlotte x

I put her back in eco disposables this morning and rash is already looking better. Have been applying the anti-fungal and anti-bacterial creams together with a layer of metanium on top... Just worried I'll never be able to revert to cloth again.
Someone suggested soaking all my nappies in oxygen bleach and soapflakes so have ordered them!

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Rash with ulcers :(

Postby shoogah01 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:51 pm

this is probably going to be completely wrong but could it be the soap nuts causing the reaction?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:01 pm

Sorry but I am of no help, but you have my sympathies. riley has been in disposables off and on for probably a month now. if I slather her with metaium for a few days it goes away, but as soon as I stop its back again. I have no idea what to do!

My avatar
charlala
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby charlala » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:04 pm

I have wondered about the soapnuts... I find it unlikely as we used them intermittently for months before going full time with them but it's something I'll look into - thanks :)

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:42 pm

Are you nappies fleece linned?
I had something similar with Kaydi, I changed my nappies to OBV inners and it soon cleared up.

There was a post on here a long time ago about fleece burns. I will try to find it once the girls are in bed.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:47 pm

What nappies do you use?
What do you line your nappies with?
Do you dry pail or wet pail?
How often do you wash your nappies?

Ditch anything with a microfibre content.
Wash at 60 with a cold pre-wash (or do a cold rinse before you wash them at 60)
Wash using biological powder (I use ariel)
Make sure you're changing often enough and you have enough absorbency
If you can't always tell when they've poo'd then check very regularly and at every trump or grimace until it's more obvious
What are you using for wipes? We don't get on with washable wipes and the only babywipes we are able to use are the ones by the earthfriendlybabycompany. John Lewis (!!) seem to be the cheapest for this.
If baby is only poo-y once a day then don't wipe at every wee change, every 3/4 changes if just wet as wiping too much irritates the skin.
Put a fleece liner soaked in cold cammomile tea - WET/DAMP into a night nappy, wet healing is FANTASTIC
Angel Baby Bottom Balm contains st.john's wort which is fantastic for healing, it's our rescue cream when my DD1 had horrendous rashes!
DON'T use a barrier cream if possible as this can clog the pores of the skin and doesn't allow it to breathe and heal
Nappy off time as much as possible until healed
If you DO need to use a barrier cream simple vaseline or Lanolin (e.g. nipple cream lansinoh) works very well and use a thin layer.
Fleece can cause problems if it isn't cleaned properly - it needs washing with detergent and rinsing clear... Otherwise either detergent, or wee/poo can build up in it and cause bacteria problems.

DRY baby's bottom after changes - VERY important and something that doesn't matter so much with disposables and often people who've used disposables forget this step. All you need to do is pat with a dry wipe...

I'm sure there's more but I can't remember off the top of my head right now ;)
Check the top tips thread incase there's anything I've missed as there's loads there...

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:04 pm

efficient machine

when you say that do you mean water efficient - ie uses less water

Hygiene cycle uses most water
Cotton cycle uses 2nd most
synthetics cycle uses less again

SO a long wash cycle on hygiene or cotton with 'water plus' if your machine allows or extra rinse and prewash- also have you cleaned in and under the detergent drawer.

While there is a rash i prefer to dunk them in plain water than wiping as that is less abrasive, nappy off time as much as possible too.
Lansinoh/lanolin is great for moist healing. and no nasty chemicals.

and do not use 'wet wipes' just plain old fashioned water.

My avatar
charlala
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby charlala » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:29 pm

What nappies do you use? A combination of WNSS with EP hemp and bamboo, ittis and GMs with wool
What do you line your nappies with?home-made fleece liners
Do you dry pail or wet pail?dry pail
How often do you wash your nappies?every 3.5 days

Ditch anything with a microfibre content.
Wash at 60 with a cold pre-wash (or do a cold rinse before you wash them at 60)
Wash using biological powder (I use ariel)will buy some tomorrow - currently using soap nuts. I thought bio was bad to use?
Make sure you're changing often enough and you have enough absorbencycould prob do with changing more normally - M is a very light wetter so can potentially last 4 hours.
If you can't always tell when they've poo'd then check very regularly and at every trump or grimace until it's more obvious
What are you using for wipes? We don't get on with washable wipes and the only babywipes we are able to use are the ones by the earthfriendlybabycompany. John Lewis (!!) seem to be the cheapest for this.Have always used washable wipes with chamomile tea solution
If baby is only poo-y once a day then don't wipe at every wee change, every 3/4 changes if just wet as wiping too much irritates the skin.
Put a fleece liner soaked in cold cammomile tea - WET/DAMP into a night nappy, wet healing is FANTASTIC
Angel Baby Bottom Balm contains st.john's wort which is fantastic for healing, it's our rescue cream when my DD1 had horrendous rashes!
DON'T use a barrier cream if possible as this can clog the pores of the skin and doesn't allow it to breathe and heal
Nappy off time as much as possible until healed
If you DO need to use a barrier cream simple vaseline or Lanolin (e.g. nipple cream lansinoh) works very well and use a thin layer.
Fleece can cause problems if it isn't cleaned properly - it needs washing with detergent and rinsing clear... Otherwise either detergent, or wee/poo can build up in it and cause bacteria problems.

DRY baby's bottom after changes - VERY important and something that doesn't matter so much with disposables and often people who've used disposables forget this step. All you need to do is pat with a dry wipe...

I'm sure there's more but I can't remember off the top of my head right now
Check the top tips thread incase there's anything I've missed as there's loads there...

Thanks for your reply... will quit using the barrier cream, look for the bottom balm and buy some new washing powder. Hopefully the oxygen bleach and soap flakes will arrive tomorrow so I can get my nappies ready for Sunday and get out of disposables.
I think when we're back in them I could do with changing more often and making sure LO is really really dry.
Going to give lanolin a try tonight with all her creams.
Thank you again!

My avatar
charlala
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby charlala » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:31 pm

Jan by efficient I more mean that it's brand new and the cycle is so vigorous. I guess I just find it unlikely that so many problems are down to detergent build-up but I am no expert so it is realistically a possibility.
I use a 60deg cotton cycle with extra rinse, takes nearly 3 hours.

Next

Return to Nappy Rash