hf1

Rashes can be an allergy!

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Rashes can be an allergy!

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:24 pm

you know i have been thinking about that very point too steph. if any food allergies could be having an effect. we know raisins are just a big no no anyway as they just cause him tummy ache, but food wise i wouldn't know where to start meself. he's had formula in one form or another since he was 5 months old, i do sometimes wonder if oranges are creating a bit of an issue but without keeping a detailed diary i wonder if it would be harder to narrow down? you'd know about food allergies more than me anyhoo

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:16 pm

Oranges and anything acidic were a big nono with Isabelle... Too much fruit definately gives/gave both my girls nappy rash, if only partly because it ended up going straight through them so they poo'd more, slopper and it was nastier on the skin...

Certain breakfast cereals were a nono too - anything too wholewheat wasn't good e.g. shreddies or weetabix...

It can be quite hard to narrow down though - obviously in our case we were avoiding it already so that's how we know it is dairy, and without excluding a food for two-four weeks you wouldn't necessarily know...
You could try switching to goat milk instead see if that makes a difference as it could be the formula but who is to say...

Might be worth keeping a food & rash diary anyway and see if you notice any patterns - does it flare up 24-48hrs after eating certain foods for example...

There are so many foods that can cause allergic reactions...

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:23 pm

since quitting the polyester he's been 95% clear. we line with wool interlock mainly but we do get the rash is he spends the day in anythin with stay dry liners. i've just bought some organic easyfits to see if there is any differnce there, as i do love easyfits as u know, but most of the time atm he's been in dunk n fluffs, lls and wool

My avatar
charlala
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby charlala » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:57 pm

Did you just go cold turkey taking the liners out then? My LO has had a recurring rash since July/Aug.. she has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal creams and they were keeping it all at bay with the rash returning the second we stopped using them (by rash I'm talking peeling skin, ulcers, open wounds, etc) however since the weekend it's completely covering her whole area. Before it was just at the front, each side of her lady bits... now its her whole bottom, front, everything. I keep thinking the worst thing I can do is take her out of stay-dry and leave her in wee-soaked fitted but maybe not?
it's driving me crazy!

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:11 pm

yep cold turkeyed them. we do now use wool interlock as a stay dry liner though which has been fine. what i find is, a day in something with polyester in and first he looks red, like he's been in a hot bath but localised, then we get sores etc which i think is irratated by minkee etc, then if i don't take them minkee out yes we got about 10 months of rash battling b4 we realised. we put him in eco sposies for a day or so to give his skin a break (sy said i was being cruel keeping him in cloth when he was so sore) i found this the best bet for healing him a little quicker, then when it was at a tolerable level ie no more weeping etc then he went back in natural fibres. and is generally int them all the time now. we still get the odd weeny spot of rash, but 95 per cent better than it was with any stay dry stuff. the thing with the wool liners i find is they work in a more kinder way, and u can use some lanolin based cream too if needed. we get the odd rash when he stealth poo's (as in u can't tell till u change him) we get a little soreness on legs from minkee outers and polyester which over time has left him with scaly skin where his nappy would be so we use earth friendly baby lotion on his skin which i find to be the best for moisturising his skin, but it this way, i can bath him at 6pm, cream him and he still feels like he's not long been done the next morning. def worth a try, i didn't think taking away stay dry liners would help personally, but trial it for a few days, it was a good 3 or 4 days b4 it started properly healing. oddly it seems rather common that stay dry liners can be an issue with causing rashes, so i've noticed over the last few weeks.x

My avatar
charlala
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby charlala » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks for your reply hun.. I think I'm going to give it a go.. will have to put her sposies then as she's got new prescription creams which we'd usually use a fleece liner with to protect nappies!

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Just wanted to add unlined nappies are fine if they are changed quite often. Babies dont need their skin to be dry all the time afterall they were in water for 9 months. Ruairidh's bum is definitely better after ditching the minkee liners. He seems ok with suedecloth though??

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:04 pm

maybe it's the pile in minkee jen? i know we can't use suede cloth here, itti's look like they have burnt him :-(

My avatar
vampiredreams
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby vampiredreams » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:32 pm

Thought I should add...Aoife has the same problem....we cannot use anything non-natural without serious consequences....we only use fitteds and wool for this reason and the odd time we use a pocket we pay for it with 3-5 days worth of redness, open sores and a very miserable baby :cry:

PreviousNext

Return to Nappy Rash