hf1

Help!

My avatar
hedgehoggy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Help!

Postby hedgehoggy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:41 pm

I'm at my wits end which is why I'm resorting to wise women and their advice. Teddy's 14 months old and have been in cloth since Feb (7ish months old) and had no problems apart from the occasional rash every now and then. But that all changed in the past 5/6 weeks when his 2 teeth next to the bottom 2 came through - 1 has cut through fully and the other just cut. But his rash is awful, literally awful with open blisters etc. He howls all the time when we wipe him so I bought a lot of soft cloth as he has sensitive skin and react to mainstream wipes (apart from Reece Jackson which is great but expensive).

He is pooing for England and has done so for the past few weeks - all mushy and soft. He also had an operation to remove an anal fistula just before he started teething (August). I'm just stressing as he is in so much pain and I can't do much to help. To top it all up, I also changed washing powder and it seem that all the kids are reacting to it so I've bought some ecoballs to help it. I've also rinsed the nappies 6 times tonight and it's still coming out with bubbles, would this be build up?

Sorry there's so many questions but I really need help :cry:

Claire x

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Help!

Postby angelsquidge » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:51 pm

If his nappy rash is that bad and causing him that much pain then I'd take him to see the GP....as it's been there for some time and clearly very painful for him it might well be infected and would need some antibiotics/cream to clear it up.

If you're still getting a lot of soapy bubbles when rinsing the nappies then they might well need proper stripping (there's a thread on how to do it)....a detergent build up certainly won't help.

Give him plenty of nappy free time too.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:13 pm

just seconding what amber said, u need to get to the docs and get some cream for him. i personally don't believe in detergent build up, as we use so little here (a baby milk scoop each load) i fail to see how it can build up. i do wash every now and then with no detergent as there is often enough residual stuff in my machine i reckon. we have a senstive skinned little man, and i feel your pain hun. would maybe a day or so in some eco sposies not be an option? we have some for when rashes got really bad. but it's another story. certainly helps to give the skin a break i find.x

My avatar
hedgehoggy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby hedgehoggy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:17 pm

I recognise you Amber, you made our lovely squishy LLS nappies recently :)

The doctor prescribed some canesten but they made the rash worse opposed to making it better so I've bought some sudocrem and they do seem to be helping heaps. I've also bought some eco sposies today (great minds think alike) so I can splatter cream on. I'm washing all my nappies tonight to get rid of the old detergent we used and see how that fares. I'm also gonna use the silk liners Beth posted earlier this week and hope that will also help things.

Thanks - it's good to know that other ppl can empathise with how I'm feeling - ppl just tell me to quit cloth but that makes me even more defiant! :)

C x

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:21 pm

hedgehoggy wrote:I recognise you Amber, you made our lovely squishy LLS nappies recently :)

That would be me lol!

FC it clears up soon.....if the silk doesn't work then I'm sure Annika will back me up on suggesting some wool topped liners :wink:

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:32 pm

Try looking at whether certain nappies make it worse (i.e. will stay dry topped nappies be best or not) and possibly use liners so you can slather him in cream and not aorry about the nappies.

Also, do you use teething powders? We use Ashton and Parsons with Moo, who still has loads of teeth to come through, she takes AGES to cut her teeth, and if we forget a sachet it makes a difference, it seems to relieve pain, reduce deibbling and therefore reduces acid in stomach/gut and so makes the poo less acidic, so it's less sore.

Return to Nappy Rash