hf1

What to try next? Please help us!

My avatar
charlala
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

What to try next? Please help us!

Postby charlala » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:14 pm

I posted on here about 6 weeks ago about M having a recurring nappy rash with open wounds/ulcers. It's still there... disappears for a few days and comes back the second we stop using her anti-bacterial and anti-fungal creams. However over the weekend her WHOLE nappy area (rather than 2 strips at front like usual) has come up with spots, ulcers and general redness/warm to touch.
I stripped all my nappies around 6 weeks ago and have changed my wash rountine so that we pre-wash, wash at 60, rinse until no bubbles. We wash every other day. We use a small amount of bio washing powder. Have also used soap nuts and non-bio in the past but rash was still there.

Our family has no history of any allergies or sensitivities to anything. Neither does OH's. I'm not ruling out an allergy/reaction to something but just giving a bit of background.
At nursery she's in pockets (suedecloth, minkee or microfleece inners) and at home we mainly use fitteds however all her nappies have a fleece liner in at the moment. I'm worried about stopping this as I worry about her sitting in a wee-soaked fitted. We use wool over fitteds and boosters in pockets are bamboo upper, hemp underneath.
We use reusable wipes with home made solution out of chamo tea tea tree oil, lavender oil and organic baby wash.
She used to eat ALOT of fruit and everyone thought it was this but doesn't eat much at nursery now at all and same problem.

PLEASE someone help me. I do not want to put her in disposables but I feel so cruel :(

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Re: What to try next? Please help us!

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:14 am

The only things that spring to mind (as otherwise you seem to have a great routine down pat!) are: ditch the wipes solution in favour of plain water. Just in case there's something in one of the ingredients that's irritating the skin. And try nappies without fleece for a few days. I know some ladies on here have found that their LOs are upset by synthetic fabrics, so it might be worth seeing if there is a reaction to the microfleece/minkee/suedecloth. Silk liners are meant to help with nappy rash, although we've not had cause to use them, so I can't give an opinion. Final thought, how do you get on when you use a barrier cream in addition to all the medicated stuff? Just something simple, that's mainly olive oil based (I like Angel Baby Bottom Balm), could help form a protective film against her skin, so that she's not too wet even in a wet nappy, IYSWIM. Best solution, of course, is always tons of nappy-free, air time. FC that you can find out what's upsetting her skin. :hug:

ETA: Final thought! How often are you changing her? Maybe up it to every two hours, just to try and help when she is in nappies.

My avatar
Chooky
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Chooky » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:40 am

My DD had exactly what you are describing. I got rid of them for a while but they always came back. I never did find a cause but she was prescribed anti-fungal creams and such as well that did not work very well for her. I ended up using Lansinoh (nipple cream) She literally screamed the first time i put it on her :cry: because it is so thick and sticky. but overnight all the smaller blisters had nearly all healed :shock: The larger ulcer type sores had finally stopped weeping I was so shocked and amazed. Her whole nappy area was healed in a few days. You could still see where the ulcers had been but they caused no pain any more and were more smooth to the touch. It's been a few months now and they still haven't come back.

Oh i used Sposies overnight with Lansinoh very thick. and cloth with liners and the lansinoh very lightly during the day. HTH

ETA I later learnt to wash my hands extremely well and put some "L" in my palm and work it up a little before applying to make it a little runnier IYGWIM

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:03 am

try barley water, please try it it sorted ours out really quickly. boil up some barley in a pan strain of the liquid then they drink it, as much as poss. nappy off time whenever your at home. let me know if it helps x

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:30 am

second the lansinoh, worked wonders for Aimie, I have also ditched stay dry inners (minky, fleece and suede cloth yesterday because they were causing a reaction. She had exactly what you are describing yesterday morning and after a day with just bov inners there is no weeping and skin is forming over the sores

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:39 am

just wanted to say hun, i hope ur getting somewhere with the rash. fingers crossed it starting to look better.x

My avatar
charlala
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby charlala » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:02 pm

Thanks for all your replies!
Littlesz - where do I get barely from/what is it??

Does anyone know if I can use lanolin along with her prescription creams?

Thanks for checking back Annika... it's worse at the moment.
The most annoying thing is I've recently sold the bulk of my fitteds to make room for pockets for nursery so only have enough for about 1 day without stay-dry in order to test! Can't really afford to buy more just to see as maybe it isn't that and then I'm stuck with them to sell again.

It's so stressful isn't it?! I can't stop worrying about her.
Thanks again! x

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:06 pm

if u have pockets, try the inserts laid on the inner, not in the pocket.... just a thought. covers the stay dry inner then to see if it makes a difference.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:24 pm

:( Rash issues are horrible!! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I know this might not be popular but have you tried sposie wipes? I loved our cloth wipes but no matter what i used with them they just didnt work for Kieren and he would have a rash that cleared up in a day or two after using sposie wipes...

The other thing i wondered about is how much washing powder do you use? Do you have hard/soft water? We have hard water and i find that I have to use a full dose of washing powder to get the nappies really clean...I just added an extra rinse to make sure it was all out...

:hug: Hope you sort it out!! :hug:

Next

Return to Nappy Rash